EDF again aghhhh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
Want on earth is going with this energy supplier.
I'm what you would call old fashioned.I get a bill and I pop down to the shop and pay it.
It's as simple as that.
EDF have been a constant pain in the back the side though lately.
I used to pay quarterly for my gas and electric and no matter how tight money is,I always pride myself on paying my bills on time.
Earlier this year EDF decided that all there customers were to now pay their bills monthly.There reasons for this, were smaller monthly bills were deemed as less of a shock to their customers than a big bill every quarter.
I totally get that and have no problem with it,but their monthly billing thing has become a shambles.
Every month I get a bill and within two days I pop down to the local Co op to pay it.They scan the bar code on the bill and I pay my dues.7 days later I get a snotty letter threatening me that I haven't payed.
I then call them and listen to green sleeves for 15 minutes and the constant blab for me to get I Smart meter which I have no intention or desire to have one.
I explain that I've paid and they confirm that I have, Happy days you would think ,but I will get another nasty letter demanding me to pay up to which I go through the same process again of calling them.They apologies and blame their slow lettering system.
If this wasn't enough,tonight I get home drenched from all the heavy rain and having to take a 25 mile detour because of closed roads to find 2 letters waiting for me from good old EDF.
One was dated 13th Oct and the other dated 18th Oct demanding this months bill and stating it's over due.The thing is I didn't even get the opening bill in the first place to pay it.
Tried calling and all I got was "there staff are all in training" by some automated message and their offices will be open on Monday.
So as I don't have an original bill because I didn't received one ,and I should of had one by now, I don't have a bar code to pay my bill off.
I can however go to the bank and pay it tomorrow using my account number as a reference as stated on the snotty letters I received today.
I can guarantee you once paid tomorrow I will get more threatening letters demanding payment and will have to go through the whole process of calling them again to tell them I have.
On Monday I'm going to have a rant at them over this.
I feel like there trying to control me by pressurizing me into getting a Smart meter and pay by direct debit.
Virtually every week they send me a letter either about bills , meter reading, or harassment about getting a Smart meter.
I'm Foul mood after today's weather and aggravation from EDF.
Why oh why can't life be simple like it once was,
Rant over.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you’ve paid, ignore them

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Your all absolutely right.
I'm quite stressed at the moment and I'm flying of the handle over anything.
My blood pressure has gone through the roof these last few weeks.
Work is chaotic and I've got tooth ache.
At least my festering Hemorrhoids are behaving themselves

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Change suppliers, but check for exit fees in case you get stung!
Octopus, as said, is good, but I don't know about paying at the co-op is an option or not as I do DD.
Also, some suppliers, I believe, won't take you on unless you get a Smart Meter.

Venod

Eh up
Your all absolutely right.
I'm quite stressed at the moment and I'm flying of the handle over anything
It's more important to reduce your stress than anything, EDF aren't helping by their
incompetence, I know you don't want a smart meter, but having one and paying by direct debit will remove the stress this is causing.
I don't want to add to your stress but may I ask what is your objection to a smart meter?
When our last supplier went bust, we were transferred to Octopus, they the best supplier we have been with.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 1258

It just so happens that on *this* particular occasion, they are experiencing unusually high call volumes. But it appears to be like that every time we have to call.

Its the 20 minutes of music interspersed with a robot voice then being cut of thats annoying, thank you Privilege insurance, I'm now with Hastings Direct. You get nothing for loyalty these days, if they're messing you about just move elsewhere.

If this happens every month then get you records together and complain to the regulator about harassment

They can send demand letters only if they are reasonable - if it happens every month then they are not taking into account normal postal delays so are not being reasonable
I would actually start by sending an email or old fashioned letter ( use their Head Office if necessary) and make sure you have a record of it - make sure it has COMPLAINT written all over it - I did something similar and it got filed as a request as I didn;t put COMPLAIN at the top so they weaseled out of it!

Good luck anyway

P.S. - or try writing to one of teh newspapers that do things like this - I see stuff in the Guardian but there is also Rip Off Britain and the like

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
First of all ,I apologize for my negative rant last night.It was a bad day from start to finish and as I live pretty much in isolation I just needed to vent it out somewhere (sorry)
I popped down to the bank this morning,9.30 sharp to pay it.
On Monday I'm going to give EDF a call and have a moan about the way there treating me.
All there very best and thank you for all your help

I would seriously think about raising it as a complaint - no need ot be nasty about it - just ask to talk to a manager and say you want to raise the number of demand letters as a complaint

Thing is - a lot of companies only raise problems to the level where it can change if they get flagged as proper complaint - hence possible going further to an Ombudsman
Managment may not even be aware that this can happen!

Top Bottom