Edge 1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
After a mixed relationship with an Edge 705 and an Edge 800 I decided to bite the bullet and get a 1000 for my new bike. Just plugged it in and gone through the various (and seemingly endless) setup steps and it's offered me a map update. I clicked on install now and it's installing the map as I type this :smile: The only problem is that it's saying 1 hr 38 mins to go :sad:

I've connected it via bluetooth to my iPhone (for some reason you have to do this twice? once with BL_1000 Edge and once with BLE_1000 Edge) and now I'm trying to work out how to connect it with wifi.

Is there andeasy to follow guide for all of this? and is there anything else I should know about the 1000?

lpretro1

You can can see the owners manual online!!

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
Having owned a couple of Edges I've learned just how misguiding the manual can be!

What I'm after here are unbiased views and observations from people who have the 1000. In particular - I've bought SD cards in the past for my 705 and 800 as the pre-installed maps that come with the device are less than useless (despite the manuals, at the time, saying they were usable). Apparently the 1000 comes with better maps and so I've not bought the SD card this time. Are the maps that come with the 1000 any good or should I get the SD card for better maps?

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
Thanks Milkfloat I thought it might be something like that but just wanted to check I was doing it right before I muck things up :smile:

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
OK, just had my first ride with the 1000. I managed to transfer a route from Garmin Connect to the 1000 and hit "RIDE". The 1000 knew I was on the route, drew it on the map and even gave me "Off Course" alerts when I deliberately took the wrong turning. Unfortunately, at no point did it give me turn-by-turn instructions.

I remember going through this with my 705 and my 800 so I probably shouldn't be that surprised :sad:

Any ideas what I might have done wrong and how I get the turn-by-turn instructions?

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
No, sorted, I think (I'll know for certain the next time I go out). When you hit the "Courses" button on the main screen, and before you actually select the course, there's a settings icon in the bottom right corner (looks like 3 parallel horizontal lines). If you hit this there's a selection for "turn guidance". Looks like I had it turned off; it's now on!

Will let you know!

On a related note - that was also my first ride on my new bike - I love it :smile: :smile: :smile:

broady

Veteran
I love my 1000 and think the maps are sufficient that you don't need to add others.
You need to link it to Garmin Express (or connect, can't remember) to add the wifi.
My ride is uploaded before I get through the front door

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
Yep, mine did the same. I pressed stop as I rode up my drive and before I reached the front door it was uploaded to Garmin and Strava :smile:

Alex1982

It might be the type of file you have uploaded to the device. I have the 1000 and have no issues with directions

What file are you are uploading to the device

Top Bottom