edge 510 issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just been gifted an edge 510 , works great but the save ride function takes a looooooooooong time to save the activity comapred to any other model i have had .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Have you tried a factory reset?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Like Ian says maybe a reset required. Could be maybe old ride history on it from the previous owner and it's having to delete an old ride to add the new one or something?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Mine got really screwed up. If I remember correctly I had to connect it via USB to a laptop and format the internal storage.

Not sure if that's anu different to a factory reset.

It can still be slow to upload via Bluetooth, and sometimes needs to be done manually through the folder icon and last ride menu.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Mine got really screwed up. If I remember correctly I had to connect it via USB to a laptop and format the internal storage.

Not sure if that's anu different to a factory reset.

It can still be slow to upload via Bluetooth, and sometimes needs to be done manually through the folder icon and last ride menu.
works ok otherwise, just very slow saving the ride

lazybloke

Considering a new username
works ok otherwise, just very slow saving the ride
Mine can do that even for a test "ride" lasting just a second or two. I have no idea what it's doing but such issues seem to get worse as the device fills up with long route files and activities - especially if using frequently eg for commuting. A bit of housekeeping to reduce the number of files seems to help.

Failing that, here are 4 options from Google to keep your 510 working. These aren't all Garmin recommendations, so use at your own risk, and bear in mind that some of these will erase the config and history, so sync to Garmin Connect first and maybe make a note of config details.

1) Simple reset of the device, if it stops responding:
Hold power button for 10 seconds. It will power-cycle and hopefully recover​

2) Clear user data (but not history)
Turn off the device.​
Place your finger on the top left corner of the touchscreen.​
While holding your finger on the touchscreen, turn on the device.​
Select
GUID-71143101-1DA4-4DA9-9FE6-5531D2C1F0E1-high.svg
.​

3) Factory/Master reset (supposedly returns the device to as new, but perhaps not infallible)
Power device off​
Press and hold Lap/Reset and Start/Stop​
Power device on while still holding both buttons​
Continue holding buttons when the Garmin "splash" screen appears​
Release buttons when Garmin "splash" screen disappears​
The head unit is now reset. Leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellite data.​

4) Format and reinstall (nuke it from orbit)
Download the following file from http://support.fesports.com.au/download/Edge510.zip
Extract the file contents to a folder you can easily find (e.g. the desktop)​
Connect the Edge 510 to your computer using the supplied Garmin USB cable.
(It should show up as a "flash drive/USB hard drive". You may see an Autoplay window appear, asking you to 'Open folders to view files'. Perfect.)​
Right click on the Drive marked as Garmin, and select Format.​
Ensure 'Unit Allocation Size' is set to DEFAULT​
Ensure Quick Format option is and remains unticked
Begin the Format​
When Format is complete, copy the files you extracted previously into the newly formatted Garmin drive.​
Once the copy is finished, SAFELY unplug your Garmin, turn it on, and do nothing else.​
It might also start looking for satellites or ...​
When it asks you (IF it does ask you) to select a language, DON'T select a language .... just turn it OFF.​
Plug the Garmin back into your PC and wait ~1 minute (give your pc time to find and install drivers again, if needs be, refer step 3 again)​
Install and run Garmin WebUpdater to update the software at http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp
Once updated, SAFELY unplug your Garmin and then turn on to complete the process! BE PATIENT.
After the device has been set up ... leave it outside for a MINIMUM of 20 min to ensure that the satellite data is captured correctly.​

If leaving the device for 20 minutes to find satellites, you might want to first adjust Settings > System > Auto Power Down.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

thanks
tried all of the above and its the same , it must be a feature of the device.
Im not desperate to keep it so i may see if i can trade it for something

Top Bottom