EDGE 705 and cadence sensor compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hello :hello:

I might be about to fork out for a new GPS. Most probably the Edge 705, which I can get with HRM and cadence for just under 200 quid (seems a bit of a bargain). I have read some stuff saying the widely available GSC10 works with 705 and others saying no. I am 90% certain it is compatible but wanted to confirm before ordering. I have at least 2 bikes I need cadence output for :tongue:

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/1451/garmin-speed-cadence-bike-sensor-gsc-10--010-10644-00-

The Product Q&A tab says it's incompatible with an EDGE 705 on the 3rd comment down. Also the Garmin site indicated 500 or 800 only, for the sensor. If this is the case - anybody know which cadence sensor will work with this? Being ANT+ I would have thought there would be a big range of sensors but digging through the ANT+ product catalogue isn't filling me with confidence.

Last thing: I am not a real slave to the mapping but it does come in handy from time to time. Would you consider an EDGE 500 a better purchase (can pick one up for maybe £15 less, with HRM and CAD)...

Cheers,
SD

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
re the 500. It doesn't have mapping like the 750. It has routes and courses which are breadcrumb trails. And there are well documented problems with the course function. Bottom line it doesn't like following courses over 50 miles.

If you can do without the mapping then 500 is ideal for what you want. All the ride data that one could ever want. And it's much smaller then the 750.

If you really want mapping then the 705 is the way to go.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hmm, swat I though Ian. Decisions, decisions...

I can always stop and check Googlemaps on my iPhone if I get really lost can't I. Maybe switching to a GPS without proper mapping will mean I spend more time admiring the scenary and using old skool methods, such as road signs and local knowledge :tongue:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I am 99% sure mine is a GSC10 in fact looking at pictures it is identical and mine is paired to a 705. For £15 Extra the 705 is the way to go. Beware though the standard maps are not that good, although there are some free ones you can download.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hmm, swat I though Ian. Decisions, decisions...

I can always stop and check Googlemaps on my iPhone if I get really lost can't I. Maybe switching to a GPS without proper mapping will mean I spend more time admiring the scenary and using old skool methods, such as road signs and local knowledge :tongue:

It hasn't failed me so far I never get lost... just ask LongMartin :whistle:

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have City navigator on SD card, for my EDGE 605 and happy to D/L Open streetmaps. I just checked and it's only actually a 6 quid saving for the 500 over the 705. Prob go for the 705 at this point.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have City navigator on SD card, for my EDGE 605 and happy to D/L Open streetmaps. I just checked and it's only actually a 6 quid saving for the 500 over the 705. Prob go for the 705 at this point.

And what will you be doing with the 605 may I ask?

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I broke the rubber joystick cover ages ago and the plastic joystick popped out during last summer's wet felpham ride. I have a sawn-off spoke nipple currently jammed in there but it's susceptable to water ingress and frequently freaks out on me. I have it held together with superglue at the mo... been thinking of changing it for a while. Would like an 800 but can't justify 300 quidish.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I broke the rubber joystick cover ages ago and the plastic joystick popped out during last summer's wet felpham ride. I have a sawn-off spoke nipple currently jammed in there but it's susceptable to water ingress and frequently freaks out on me. I have it held together with superglue at the mo... been thinking of changing it for a while. Would like an 800 but can't justify 300 quidish.

Oh well.. I would have had it off you if you were just upgrading.
Yup.. would like the 800 too. A very nice bit of kit.

rb58

Enigma
Ant - I had those cadence sensors with my 705, on three bikes. All worked fine and swapping between bikes is easy enough but you do need to remember to tell the 705 which bike you're on. I sold my 705 and went for the eTrex so I could customise my route instructions. Doesn't have cadence or HRM, but to be honest I only used the HRM a couple of times and stopped bothering about cadence quite some time ago.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Ant - I had those cadence sensors with my 705, on three bikes. All worked fine and swapping between bikes is easy enough but you do need to remember to tell the 705 which bike you're on. I sold my 705 and went for the eTrex so I could customise my route instructions. Doesn't have cadence or HRM, but to be honest I only used the HRM a couple of times and stopped bothering about cadence quite some time ago.

Okay, cheers for confirming Ross. Looks like it's going to be the 705, if I do decide to splash the cash. I use a seperate cheap HRM for longer weekend rides anyway but that's also on the fritz. I have used cadence meters before and found it interesting to monitor (God, what an anorak, I sound) :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Fix it with some black silicone sealant round the spoke nipple - that will sort the water issue.

The Garmin GSC10 sensor was first used with the early series of bicycle GPS units including the 705 . You can check the compatibility easily enough at the Garmin website. It shows on the linked page which units the GSC10 is compatible with. The list includes the 705.

Andrew

Top Bottom