Edge 705 TCX file

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
has some one got a tcx file from an edge 705 that I could borrow, doesn't need to long, as I want to try something with it on the bryton site.
There are many benefits to using a 705 over a Rider 50, but I like the Bryton site for info, but what I want to see is if I can upload a tcx from an edge 705, I dont think its possible other than for a course, as I have tried varies tcx exports and it uploads but doesn't show, however if I download from my Rider 20 a tcx file this will upload as a history file.

Nigel

Ive not got one to hand but you could easily generate one on RideWithGPS or similar.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
@HLaB and @ianrauk
I know how to export them and create courses in many applications, I just need to see if a raw tcx file from an Edge 705 or 605 ect. will load to Brytons website as a history file, I personally feel there is something in the header or footer of the file that prevents non Bryton units to upload data, I have even tried taking out references to Garmin and replacing it with Bryton data. I can even stitch data from two or more tcx files together to make show on strava for example as one ride, change dates times ect, but I cant confirm if a true 705 tcx file will upload to Bryton.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@HLaB and @ianrauk
I know how to export them and create courses in many applications, I just need to see if a raw tcx file from an Edge 705 or 605 ect. will load to Brytons website as a history file, I personally feel there is something in the header or footer of the file that prevents non Bryton units to upload data, I have even tried taking out references to Garmin and replacing it with Bryton data. I can even stitch data from two or more tcx files together to make show on strava for example as one ride, change dates times ect, but I cant confirm if a true 705 tcx file will upload to Bryton.

Gotcha...

@HLaB and @ianrauk
Righto, if I remeber I can send you one from my old 305 tonight, a tcx history file.

Tried it and from Garmin.
Cant guarantee it'll work but the ride as I've ridden it will let you download the tcx history file as oppose to the tcx course file.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
you still wanting one?
Yes,
I think I have found the problem though, there is an <Extensions> at the end giving data from the Bryton unit, I think this would need to be included, I have tried various ways of trimming this data to no avail, I think this is why it can be uploaded to other sites as this info is ignored.

This is a sample, the bold is the extra information.

</Activities>
<Extensions>
<extensions xmlns="http://www.brytonsport.com/BDX/2/2">
<user>
<gender>1</gender>
<weight>76.00</weight>
<height>182.88</height>
<age>50</age>
<mhr>178</mhr>
</user>
<sys version="1.0.0.R025 BB2.7.0.8">Rider20</sys>
<sharetype>2</sharetype>
<acttype subtype="0">0</acttype>
<stime>2014-04-01T14:39:18Z</stime>
<etime>2014-04-01T17:41:08Z</etime>
<trvTime>10784</trvTime>
<trvDist>65540</trvDist>
</extensions>
<laps xmlns="http://www.brytonsport.com/BDX/2/2">
<summary start="2014-04-01T14:39:18Z" end="2014-04-01T17:41:08Z">
<distance>64917</distance>
<calorie>2214</calorie>
<altloss>0</altloss>
<altgain>0</altgain>
<speed max="53.10" avg="25.20"/>
<hrm max="166" avg="144"/>
<cad max="104" avg="84"/>
<pwr max="0" avg="0"/>
<rtime>9334</rtime>
</summary>
</laps>
</Extensions>

</TrainingCenterDatabase>

Because it uploads and shows a success at the end but it doesn't show in the rides section nor any totals, so I think unless this section is included, it fails at the end to show the summary and without that it doesn't show as a ride.

There is a preceding line
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
Though I think this has no relevance.

The other option I have is just to run the two and use the Bryton data on the Bryton site.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
you will need to rename the file - for some reason tcx file extensions are not allowed... so I have renamed it... hoping that works!
have plenty of others if you want them.
Many thanks, but as I suspected it didn't work, however one of the files I was playing about with earlier seems to have, but the summary data is from what appears to be from the extension section.

TCX files, GPX's files etc are funny, If I've had garmin failure I've auto-generated a history file and whilst it works fine in nearly all programs, in Strava it adopts a new moving time so my average is way off, yet if I upload directly to strava from garmin its OK :wacko:

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
TCX files, GPX's files etc are funny, If I've had garmin failure I've auto-generated a history file and whilst it works fine in nearly all programs, in Strava it adopts a new moving time so my average is way off, yet if I upload directly to strava from garmin its OK :wacko:
It also depends how the unit records, the rider 20 has no auto-pause so my avg on strava is for the whole ride, sometimes upto 1mph slower than the moving avg, though segments are correct (as most you don't usually stop), it was the same with the N95 when I used that, also strava as far as I am aware does not include laps (there is a lap button I sometimes press and as this doubles as the pause button and it records a lap on a short press), as these are not exported in the tcx (but I would need to confirm this).
RWGPS usually gave a slightly lower avg sp than Garmin using the 500, conversions in the FIT file !!, I also noted that if you corrected the elevation on RWGPS you tended to get sudden elevation spikes and troughs leading to some ambiguous elevation readings (usually higher totals), these could then be exported as a tcx and imported to strava and if uncorrected strava would read this as your elevation.
Units that dont record live elevation, (most phones and basic gps units) all web based sites will use there own gps data for elevation (you would have thought they would use the same gps data), if corrected (sometimes this is automatic).
Garmin for instance can easily read several thousand feet of elevation if I up load the tcx file from the Rider 20 (its just a straight liner line), this resets if you press the lap button, usually this can be corrected in Garmin Connect, though one or two it hasn't and I have had to download from Bryton then upload that file (usually works).
Strava can take a tcx file without a summary of time, distance ect.. and work this out from the plots (this can be useful if two or more rides from a day are combined), I think RWGPS can also.

Top Bottom