Thinking of replacing my Garmin Edge 800 Battery.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I'm thinking of replacing the battery in my old Garmin 800.

Anyone done this?

What is the best mAh Capacity battery you can get?

yello

I replaced the one in my 305 and it was quite straightforward, though did feature a bit of 'do I know what I'm doing?' trepidation and require calming of nerves. As for the "best' battery, no idea. From memory, mine just came from ebay or some such.

All worked out well and I'd do it again if needed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I tried and failed on my Edge 200, but @ColinJ took it over and waved his magic wand and bingo, a new battery fitted.

He may be able to advise.
Ha ha - I was just thinking of you! Once again, thanks for that - I was riding with Guy on Friday and using the Edge 200 to remind me of our route.

I told Guy about you giving me the GPS and me then repairing it. That might be why he is now looking at sorting his 800 out?

I watched the first of those 2 videos and it looks like quite a straightforward job on the 800. The problem on the 200 was reinserting that small and fragile ribbon cable, which you found impossible, and I found very tricky!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have a base edge 200 that needs a new battery so i think i will see if they can offer that
And i keep thinking about doing it but then i decide not to

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Yes, @ColinJ got me thinking about my Garmin battery. Currently, I use an external power bank, which does last more than a week.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
EEMB batteries on amazon are pretty good - Ive used their batteries to replace old ones in bluetooth speakers.

Its easy just to snip the connectors off on the new and old battery. strip some of the plastic back and splice the wire from the new battery together with the old connector. you can either use some solder or heatshrink tubing to hold the cables together, then seal it up using gasket maker from halfords or silicon bathroom sealant.

I did my 520 the same way a few years ago.The only thing I didnt do is tape the new battery down with double sided tape so my unit has always had a bit of a rattle to it.

I'll probably need to replace it again very soon.

If youre going to go down the DIY route - take the most care when trying to slip something thin underneath the screen/digitiser those things are the most fragile and will break/crack if you put too much force on them when trying to take them out. Im a guitarist so I just used an old guitar pick to get inside the unit.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
I'm changing the battery over at this precise moment, got the screws out, just getting the old battery out, it's stuck in with gluey stuff.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Battery installed, easy peazy, everything working normally on the Garmin. I've put the Garmin on charge.

It's a success :hyper:
It will be interesting to see how long one charge lasts.

The Edge 200 that I used on our ride on Friday used 45% of its charge from 10:00-ish to 17:00-ish so it would probably last around 15 hours. I won't be doing many 15 hour rides in future! (If I were doing any 12-hours plus I would take my little powerbank and recharge my 2 GPS devices on a mid-ride cafe stop.)

Top Bottom