Thinking of replacing my Garmin Edge 800 Battery.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
EEMB batteries on amazon are pretty good - Ive used their batteries to replace old ones in bluetooth speakers.

Its easy just to snip the connectors off on the new and old battery. strip some of the plastic back and splice the wire from the new battery together with the old connector. you can either use some solder or heatshrink tubing to

I did my 520 the same way a few years ago.The only thing I didnt do is tape the new battery down with double sided tape so my unit has always had a bit of a rattle to it.

I'll probably need to replace it again very soon.
Wondering what it is that you do to need a 2nd replacement battery when my older Edge 510 still gives 11-12 hours on its original?

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
It will be interesting to see how long one charge lasts.

The Edge 200 that I used on our ride on Friday used 45% of its charge from 10:00-ish to 17:00-ish so it would probably last around 15 hours. I won't be doing many 15 hour rides in future! (If I were doing any 12-hours plus I would take my little powerbank and recharge my 2 GPS devices on a mid-ride cafe stop.)

I've gone for a bigger battery 1200 mAh, so lets see.......

Info: you need a good quality torx screw driver. I already had a set of good quality torx screwdriver(s).

In the first video, the Garmin is pre disassembled loosely, you can tell, that's why it looks so easy.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You have just reminded me that I have another GPS kindly donated to me on the forum, which can display a map. It doesn't use a normal Garmin mount but I do have the right mount for it. I might fit the device to one of my bikes and see how I get on with it. (I never get lost using the Edge 200, but all I am doing is following a pre-calculated 'breadcrumb trail' on its screen so I often don't actually know where I am.) If I liked the map device, I might use it instead of the Edge 500 which I only use as a glorified bike computer.

ColinJ

Hartree, apparently, a unit of energy equivalent to about 27eV.
Ah - I'd never heard of that one!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Wondering what it is that you do to need a 2nd replacement battery when my older Edge 510 still gives 11-12 hours on its original?

I use my 520 a lot so the battery is always being power cycled. The speed and cadence sensors I have on my bikes probably eats up a fair amount of battery too.

It was roughly around 3 years ago when I first replaced the original battery with a random one purchased off ebay (did not know about EEMB at the time)

Since the battery was purchased off ebay. its stated capacity is rather questionable but I have had decent mileage between charges with it so im not too fussed.

The 3rd year is roughly when batteries start to degrade faster after so many power cycles. And while it still holds a good amount of charge. Its only going to get worse as time goes on.

And ive already replaced the battery once and a new replacement battery is only a few quid so it will be a fairly quick job for me to repeat the same process again.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
With the new bigger 1200mAh battery installed, I turned my Garmin Edge 800 on at 8am set up the route, went for a longish ride for 6.5 hours at 10am. The Battery is still running at 7pm. I think I will need to reset the default battery setting as it displayed low battery at 12pm, even when it was fine.

Also, I'm going to replace the rubbish torx screws with some better quality high tensile steel cross headed screws.

ColinJ

With the new bigger 1200mAh battery installed, I turned my Garmin Edge 800 on at 8am set up the route, went for a longish ride for 6.5 hours at 10am. The Battery is still running at 7pm. I think I will need to reset the default battery setting as it displayed low battery at 12pm, even when it was fine.

Also, I'm going to replace the rubbish torx screws with some better quality high tensile steel cross headed screws.
I think that I had to run the new battery flat a couple of times for the GPS to work out the capacity of the battery and give more accurate battery readings.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
I think that I had to run the new battery flat a couple of times for the GPS to work out the capacity of the battery and give more accurate battery readings.

Thanks, apparently, it needs to be reset too, here is the info about resetting the Garmin Edge 800 Battery level indicator:

"Let the device drain the battery until it switches off (dies) as you did. The real battery level is zero at that point. Now the software of the device has to learn the new zero level. This can be achieved by doing a full hard reset of the device immediately after it is connected to the charger. Do not skip this step. Regardless of when the battery indicator reaches 100% again, leave the device on the charger for at least 6 hours. This is to learn the device the real 100% charge level.

Device is ready to use now, but you will have to re-enter your settings because of the full reset. If in doubt if you have reached the ultimum with the battery indicator, you can repeat the whole re-cal procedure."

a full hard reset
"The procedure for a full factory reset using the buttons is (Source: Garmin)

• Turn device off, if not already off because of empty battery. And without cable connected.
  • Hold Lap/Reset and Start/Stop (the front buttons)
  • Press the Power button for a few seconds and and release.
  • Continue to hold only Lap/Reset and Start/Stop.
  • Release Lap/Reset and Start/Stop when the Garmin Logo is cleared.
  • The unit will restart and clear non-vol. Now it will start the initial device setup starting with Language, etc..

If you are doing the procedure for calibration of the battery charge level indicator and have let the device drain its battery until it shuts down then it is important to connect the Edge to an external wall charger and not to a USB port on the PC. In this stage the device should not come into mass storage mode."

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fi...265182/edge-explore-battery-meter-calibration

Last edited:
Top Bottom