Edge 800 Auto Pause issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cd365

Guru
I have a problem with the Auto Pause on my Edge 800, it is set to pause when stopped but quite often when I get out of the saddle it Auto Pauses and then Resumes. It is really irritating.

I have the cadence sensor as well.

Anyone got any ideas?

sight-pin

Veteran
Is it possible you could be blocking the gps signal with your body etc when out of saddle? although i'm not really sure if an interruption with the satellite signal would even cause that type of problem to be honest.

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Probably flex moving the sensor/magnet just far enough apart. When the signal is lost garmins will automatically base speed off GPS, so it will auto pause and restart when the magnet misses, then do the same with the magnet triggers the next time

Andrew_P

In between here and there
It is a sure sign that the GSC-10 Cadence - Speed sensor is knackered or more specifically the wire in the arm has a dodgy connection. I have had two go. Which way do you currently have the arm pointing down inside the chainstay or pointing up? Sometimes just pointing in the opposite direction will get some extra life out of it, and I have had far more problems with it pointing down than the ugly way of pointing up, Next time it goes I am going to get the new separate version recently launched.

OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
Thanks for the comments, it is/was the sensor, it looks like it moved a couple of mm, I realigned it and it now seems ok.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good stuff. Garmin buggered up the 705 with one firmware release. It made the unit pause every time you went under trees. They eventually deleted that version. The cure was to back date then wait for the new release.

fossyant

PS I can recommend the rare earth magnets for attaching to the back of the pedal spindle rather than having the Garmin magnet on the crank. Invisible and work perfectly as you don't need the sensor that close.

D

Deleted member 18052

PS I can recommend the rare earth magnets for attaching to the back of the pedal spindle rather than having the Garmin magnet on the crank. Invisible and work perfectly as you don't need the sensor that close.

Can agree here, I got 5 for a couple of quid posted.

fossyant

Can agree here, I got 5 for a couple of quid posted.

Yup, got them on both my road bikes. If the axel end of the pedal is recessed into the crank then you don't need any glue, but if it's proud of the crank, then a dab of superglue is recommended. They work brill and invisible.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Good stuff. Garmin buggered up the 705 with one firmware release. It made the unit pause every time you went under trees. They eventually deleted that version. The cure was to back date then wait for the new release.
@fossyant, how do you back date, i.e. revert to an earlier firmware version? I need to know how to do that on one of my Garmin units. Garmin have given no instructions on how to do this.

Last edited:

Albert

Über Member
Don't set your auto pause to zero mph. Set your auto pause to trigger at 1.5 mph. Then small movement won't get resume to kick in.

It is a sure sign that the GSC-10 Cadence - Speed sensor is knackered or more specifically the wire in the arm has a dodgy connection. I have had two go. Which way do you currently have the arm pointing down inside the chainstay or pointing up? Sometimes just pointing in the opposite direction will get some extra life out of it, and I have had far more problems with it pointing down than the ugly way of pointing up, Next time it goes I am going to get the new separate version recently launched.
Agree with that; mine bulgarred and I've found it best to slide the magnet back so the gps takes over but the sensor still picks up cadence.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Agree with that; mine bulgarred and I've found it best to slide the magnet back so the gps takes over but the sensor still picks up cadence.

I did the same in the end used to drive me nuts would work seamlessly on the stand no problem at all but as soon as I was out on it auto pause would kick in that's why I assume it was a loose wire or corrosion on a connection as the bumping was causing it to auto pause. I bought A Bontrager one in the end as it wasn't held on with cable ties and easily removed for cleaning the bike. I like the speed sensor as I have a fair bit of heavy tree cover and the GPs gets pretty erratic on my commute.

Top Bottom