edge explore issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
my garmin seems to be playing up.i download the same route as others but in sections i get completely different routing from the same uploaded course .

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Turn off recalculation?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I turn mine off but then for some reason, every few months or ride uploads it seems to revert to recalc on, as well as resetting all my display info fields. Most annoying when you only discover this after getting a fair way off route then realising you hadn't plotted the route through this village or over this hill, etc. Can even try taking you down canals and stuff!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Now this raises an interesting question.

I create my routes on the RWGPS free service and once done I go through deleting all the white dots (control points) and then save the route and transfer to the Garmin. I use fit. files and make sure recalc is turned off so it just has the mapped route to follow with no fixed points other than start and finish. These seems to work really well for me and anecdotally has less issues than leaving the points in or using the gpx. format.

Am I doing it wrong?

ExBrit

Über Member
There are several types of "route" files. Two commonly used ones are GPX track and GPX route. One only contains the control points set by the route designer. The other contains full turn by turn instructions. Is it possible you're downloading the wrong type?

1681163722427.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Now this raises an interesting question.

I create my routes on the RWGPS free service and once done I go through deleting all the white dots (control points) and then save the route and transfer to the Garmin. I use fit. files and make sure recalc is turned off so it just has the mapped route to follow with no fixed points other than start and finish. These seems to work really well for me and anecdotally has less issues than leaving the points in or using the gpx. format.

Am I doing it wrong?

When I had an Edge Explore I used to do similar but didn't faff around deleting the white dots. That does seem like a faff. I just did "download as gpx track" and transferred that file to the new files folder. Seemed to work OK. The only problem was that it was sluggish in starting to navigate big routes, so for long rides I'd chop it into chunks - out and back maybe, or for 200k audaxes the sections between controls. Mind you I'm on "paid for" RWGPS so maybe it's different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom