Edge Explore \ Radar - Improving battery life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I run a garmin edge explore with radar (older style) and a HRM. Disappointed I only got about 4.5 hours. I hope to follow a route and lead a club run soon - any tips for what settings I can use to improve battery life ?

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Other than a new battery and disable the additional 'connections', not much.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As it's an old machine it would be worth changing the battery. It will give your machine a whole new lease of life.
Get one off the bay, and take it to one of those phone shops. They usually charge about a tenner to swap over.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My edge touring does a good 8 or 9 hrs quite easily.
Make sure your backlight is turned off because otherwise it lights up the screen everyone it gives you a turn instruction and that will eat into battery life.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Its the edge explore - not edge touring. I think it is the lights network & radar which hammers the battery - I do find the radar useful

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Backlight off, turn off unused sensors and not having map view on seems to be the most common things that people try. I just bought a new unit.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Turn the radar connection off, and turn the screen off assuming you know where you are going when you lead this ride.

Are you seriously going to lead a club ride on a route that you have no idea of?
Recce the route beforehand then you won't need to rely on the Garmin.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I run a garmin edge explore with radar (older style) and a HRM. Disappointed I only got about 4.5 hours. I hope to follow a route and lead a club run soon - any tips for what settings I can use to improve battery life ?
I hadn't thought about the point @Darius_Jedburgh makes above. He's right in my view, relying on a Garmin to lead a club ride is placing a lot of faith in both the Garmin and your own plotting ability.

My personal experience is it can go wrong which can be embarrassing!! A couple of times I've relied on a Garmin to take me on a section I don't know and ended up not lost but having to mentally re-route to get back on track.

It's a sweaty moment!! Fixable if you know the general area but very difficult if you don't.

I find if I plot a route online with (usually) cycle.travel and then review it on Google streetmap/earth I don't actually really need to follow the Garmin, this works even when off familiar ground. At one point on our LeJoG I was convinced I'd been to one place before as it was so familiar, took me a while to realise it wasn't deja vu or a return visit, rather it was me over flying it in Google Earth and checking on Streetview.

Top Bottom