Edge Explore \ Radar - Improving battery life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why is it imperative to stick rigidly to a pre planned route?
Presumably the ride is in an area local to OP so both he and the club members will/should know their local roads. Variations based on mide ride requirements can easily be accommodated.
I rode 100 miles on Saturday after setting out to ride 85. I had only a vague idea of what route I would take. Major roadworks caused a big diversion and rethink of plans, and could do for any paper based route.

I find if I plot a route online with (usually) cycle.travel and then review it on Google streetmap/earth I don't actually really need to follow the Garmin, this works even when off familiar ground. At one point on our LeJoG I was convinced I'd been to one place before as it was so familiar, took me a while to realise it wasn't deja vu or a return visit, rather it was me over flying it in Google Earth and checking on Streetview.
sorry - i find this somewhat sad - the only time I will ever check a bit on streetview is if I fear my route may have gone on to a great thundering road with motorway type traffic or a particularly bad giant intersection. Little chance of this being the case using cycle-travel though.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Why is it imperative to stick rigidly to a pre planned route?
Presumably the ride is in an area local to OP so both he and the club members will/should know their local roads. Variations based on mide ride requirements can easily be accommodated.
I rode 100 miles on Saturday after setting out to ride 85. I had only a vague idea of what route I would take. Major roadworks caused a big diversion and rethink of plans, and could do for any paper based route.
It's ok if you can do that I get lost at the bottom of my garden so if I don't follow a route .....

Plus I do plan to go up certain roads or " not another hill ck!"

sorry - i find this somewhat sad - the only time I will ever check a bit on streetview is if I fear my route may have gone on to a great thundering road with motorway type traffic or a particularly bad giant intersection. Little chance of this being the case using cycle-travel though.
Cycle.travel can't magically cross motorways/railways/rivers on lightly trafficked roads all the time, and in areas I don't know (so anywhere 60 miles away) it pays to check. Plotting Lands End to John o'Groats and riding the route unseen is trusting rather too much.

Wandrin

Don't wear headphones while cycling...

Huh?

You'll hear the Garmin beeping when you need to change direction so it won't crash/lockup as often or spend display on time telling you to U-turn!

( who only recently realised it beeps? )

This argument about headphones ignores the fact that deaf people are allowed to walk and cycle so being able to hear is a red herring.
if ever that was a red herring your argument is one - made me laugh I must admit.
There are plenty of disabilities/challenges in the world - not a reason for inflicting them on yourself when getting on a bike, especially in traffic.

Wandrin

Canal paths, footpaths? The headphones come off in the countryside, a chance to enjoy the quiet or nature, often not quiet.

Traffic? Who wants to listen to that noise every day on the commute etc? Headphones :smile:

Top Bottom