Edinburgh Bike Co Maintenance Course

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugo15

Über Member
I'm useless at anything practical (see DIY thread in the cafe for proof :biggrin:), but I would like to learn how to fettle with the bike. Has anyone any experience of the EBC one day intensive course, particularly in Newcastle?

Or has anyone been on any thing else good in the North East?

TriCrossUK

I went on one of the ones in Edinburgh last year. Have to say that I found it to be very useful, from the point of view that I had read numerous "manuals" but lacked the confidence to actually tinker with my bike.

The course begins with the basics, such as taking the wheels off the bike and putting them back on, progresses on to removing the tyre to repair a puncture (they give you an inner tube to practice on - rather than ask you to ruin your own.), indexing the gears (including hi/lo adjusting screws), installing new brake-blocks, removing the chain (using a chain-splitter). Also went through the important areas of the bike to make sure are kept well lubed.

In the afternoon session we looked at some of the more tricky things like removing/replacing the bottom bracket, removing the gears cassette and finally looked at truing the wheels.

The lunch that was included consisted of a filled roll (you place your order at the start of the day), drink and a cake.

Everything was carried out at a pace dictated by the group members - and as we had bikes ranging from racers to audax to disc-brake mountain bikes, we were able to get an appreciation of the intricacies of each.

Would say it was definitely worth the money.

OP
OP
Hugo15

Hugo15

Über Member
Thanks for the feedback. I am a bit the same as you. I have read quite a bit on the Park Tools and Campag sites but I just lack the confidence to have a go. Sounds like it would be cash well spent for me.

purpleR

Guru
I went on one of their half day courses (like TricrossUK, in Edinburgh), very good value I thought and the instructor was excellent. We learned about punctures, brakes, taking the wheels off, adjusting brake blokes etc.

And they mended my bike for me after I managed to slice my way through some cable housing :biggrin:

If you've an older bike in need of some tlc, take that along - our instructor demonstrated some slightly more advanced stuff on the bikes most in need, and also asked if there was anything specific wrong with our bikes that he could demonstrate a repair on.

purpleR

Guru
purpleR said:
I went on one of their half day courses (like TricrossUK, in Edinburgh), very good value I thought and the instructor was excellent. We learned about punctures, brakes, taking the wheels off, adjusting brake blokes etc.
:biggrin: okay then, blocks.
How's that for a freudian slip eh! :biggrin:

gbyers

I went to the EBC one day course in Leeds a couple of weeks ago.

Four of us in total, all the workshop will cope with so they're booked months ahead.

Really good tutor, covered all the basics and a bit more, didn't assume any knowledge, so suited all levels.

Good backup manual and offer of advice by phone should we have a problem

Really good day worth every penny.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I tried booking on a council run evening class, a week before it was due to start it was cancelled:sad:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Did the Edinburgh Bicycle All-Day Intensive Maintenance Course back in Feb - it was a Xmas present from my folks (on my suggestion). Prior to that I was scared to undo the gear cable to tighten it as I thought I'd break something.

Worth every penny - you gain a confidence you'll never get from reading books alone, plus you get to take your bike to bits with an expert on hand if you have any questions or problems !

It gave me the confidence to completely strip my bike down in April and give it a service it won't forget in a hurry !!! :biggrin:

I have regreased hub bearings and adjusted the cones; cleaned the headset bearings and regreased them; had the bottom bracket out, checked and the threads regreased; changed the cranks, chainrings and cassette; replaced spokes; cleaned the gear and brake cable inners; adjusted the gear indexing.. the list goes on. Not bad for a mechanical virgin !

purpleR

Guru
:biggrin: Mine was a christmas present from my folks too, also on my suggestion... popular gift!

Top Bottom