Scotland : Edinburgh & Lothians Edinburgh - Gifford 22nd March (Saturday)

Which option(s) do you fancy - multiple choices possible?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Thinking of swapping wheelsets now, I'm likely to be attempting the Trough of Bowland a week later, a shot up the Rigg would be a good taster.

Pop the lighter wheels from the carbon bike on the alloy one, swap 12-30 cassette, should be a good job :smile:

OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Guys, it looks like we'll have 35+ mph gusts on Saturday at Gogarbank, with the predicted wind speed creeping up over the last few days ... so probably a fair bit stronger anywhere more exposed ...
If you want to go up the Rigg :evil:, by all means do ... I'm planning on turning back at Gifford and heading home for cake, the Rigg will still be there when the wind finally relents a wee bit .

T

Last edited:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Guys, it looks like we'll have 35+ mph gusts on Saturday at Gogarbank, with the predicted wind speed creeping up over the last few days ... so probably a fair bit stronger anywhere more exposed ...
If you want to go up the Rigg :evil:, by all means do ... I'm planning on turning back at Gifford and heading home for cake, the Rigg will still be there when it's the wind finally relents a wee bit .

T
If we have 35+ gusts, I might be turning back at ... let me see ... Newhaven ? :ohmy:

OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
If the wind gets much stronger that 35 mph, I'd propose either shortening the route or possibly postponing the ride, either to Sunday or another time ... not sure how flexible people would be? Just asking hypothetically, it's too early to start making any changes at this stage, it might all blow over much faster than predicted just now :smile:.

My commute home tonight was mostly fine, but in some exposed places I was glad there were no vehicles or other cyclists in close proximity :ohmy:... had to hang on to the handlebars rather tightly in the worst gusts (guessing low 40s) ... my 'safe limit' is about mid-30s max for crosswind ...

T

MikeW-71

Veteran
To me, saturday now looks the better one and predicted wind has dropped slightly. I will trust your judgement on this one as you know the area :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Evening all!
Got blown off the bike this morning at 5am, and on Mrs. D. too, the heaviest of my steeds :ohmy:
Did not really fall, was not upright either :laugh:
Anyhoo, I am bringing a friend along, as mentioned earlier, we will be on the 9 o'clock from Queen Street barring tornadoes and typhoons.
T. can adjust the route if the wind keeps up, or we could go for a ride in the Meadows instead :laugh:
Missed both the heavy rain riding to work and the hail storm riding back.
I was a lucky cyclist today :biggrin:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Winds have dropped again on the saturday forecast, it's looking a bit better :smile:

Where is best to park around the Commie Pool?

I'll be up in Edinburgh twice in two days. Going up for a course at work tommorrow and back up on saturday for the ride :biggrin: Shame I have to take 3 others or I'd just have found a place to stay for the night .

OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
On-street parking is free at the weekends around the whole area ... there should be a fair number of spaces Saturday morning. The actual Commie car park is short-term for visitors only, as far as I know - I don't drive, so don't really pay much attention to these things. :biggrin:
The wind predictions for Saturday are improving again, so far so good. :thumbsup:
Gingerbread loaves in the oven, somebody better turn up for the ride ...

T

MikeW-71

Veteran
Flapjack is in the oven as I type. Fingers crossed, it's come out different every time so far :laugh: If it's a disaster this time I'll not subject anyone else to it, but if you like flapjacks in a fruit and nut stylee then you should like them :thumbsup:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Flapjack is in the oven as I type. Fingers crossed, it's come out different every time so far :laugh: If it's a disaster this time I'll not subject anyone else to it, but if you like flapjacks in a fruit and nut stylee then you should like them :thumbsup:
LIKE! Also means I don't have to buy "one flapjack for the road" :laugh:

OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
One of the loaves had a wee 'accident' coming out of the tin (broke in half) :rolleyes:, the other is still in one piece and looking like it should. May have to dispose of the evidence before Saturday :secret:.

T

OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Cook's prerogative to dispose of damaged goods as they see fit :tongue:
Just looking at this untidyness between now and Saturday afternoon may be too much to bear ;)

T

Top Bottom