Edinburgh - Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eoin Rua

Evening all...

Was thinking of cycling to Glasgow from Edinburgh this weekend, and while I could google map a route thought it would be better to have an ask on here with regards to the best route to take i.e. best/quietest roads...so, any advice would be much appreciated!

aberal

Veteran
Along the canal?

I've done the route a few times you can go almost the whole way via back roads, I took this route the last time with skoosh of the forum, I've also don similar but via B9080 to Linlithgow and B825 to Bowhill/ Avonbridge its a bit better signposted and then joined the posted route B8022 to Slamanan/Greengairs and went into Glasgow by Glenmavis and Easterhouse.

top-tube

Über Member
+1 for canal. A very pleasant days cycling. About 55 miles depending on which bit of Glasgow you want to get to. Unfortunately the Bathgate-Airdrie railway project has closed the other relatively traffic free option of NCN 75 until the railway opens in December 2010. I did the canal last year, on the way to Pedal for Scotland (i.e. to cycle back to Edinburgh) on the following day. Against my expectations, I loved the canal - best for a hybrid or MTB rather than full on road bike though.

toroddf

Up to Kilsyth and over to Denny before the run through Falkirk and Grangemouth to the Forth Bridge and in to the castle.

OP
OP
Eoin Rua

Eoin Rua

HLab, you legend - that's exactly the sort of route I was looking for, will definitely look into it...

Wasn't sure about the canal - especially for a road bike, but cheers anyway guys

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
It was a good route HLaB and I rode - I was just tagging along and he was holding back for me :sad:.

I think the point where the route stops must have been when the heavens opened and it was coming down in torrents - so much that we took refuge in a bus shelter :sad:.

You shouldn't have any such probs with the weather this week-end, though :biggrin:.

Enjoy your ride :biggrin:

fimm

Veteran
I wouldn't take a road bike along the canal - not all of it is tarmaced. It is also quite narrow and fiddly, and at the Edinburgh end (which is the bit I know) there are dog walkers and joggers and all sorts of people, so you should go quite cautiously. (I get quite pissed off with cyclists who hammer along there, I don't think it is safe or considerate to other users of the path.)

scoosh said:
It was a good route HLaB and I rode - I was just tagging along and he was holding back for me :blush:.

I think the point where the route stops must have been when the heavens opened and it was coming down in torrents - so much that we took refuge in a bus shelter :sad:.

You shouldn't have any such probs with the weather this week-end, though :sun:.

Enjoy your ride :biggrin:
Don't be modest and I enjoyed the company :becool:

That rain was unbelievable though :biggrin::rain::rain::rain:x 1000 squeezed into 15 minutes.

OP
OP
Eoin Rua

Eoin Rua

Didn't end up going through to Glasgow - some other time perhaps...

Went to North Berwick and back instead - 50 and a bit miles in total. Was a nice morning - pretty interesting head/crosswind on the way down, and plenty of cyclists heading back up toward Edinburgh - obviously the early early birds!

Top Bottom