Education failed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Youtube requires a lot of engagement if a creator is going to have any success. I can't imagine they are out there doing structured research. It's possible the sample of people featured might not be representative.

Lots of things require specific training- if I'm out walking I might have a paper map (or my OS maps app if I'm not out in the wilderness) and sometimes I get asked for help with directions and wayfinding- occasionally I've had people recoil when I've got a map out to show them- they wanted some verbal instruction and a bit of pointing, using the map would have complicated matters.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Americans, that’s all you need to know.
Honestly, you could do the same thing in the UK, and probably many other countries.

I sat in the works canteen once with someone doing a Sun Coffee Time Crossword. He looked puzzled (pun intended)! Eventually, he looked up ...

Puzzler: Hey Col, you're good at English and stuff, aren't you?
ColinJ: One tries!
Puzzler: Eh?
ColinJ: Yes!
Puzzler: Oh, er, right - can you solve this clue for me?
ColinJ: Shoot!
Puzzler: Eh?
ColinJ: Yes!
Puzzler: Domestic animal
ColinJ: How many letters?
Puzzler: 3
ColinJ: Dog
Puzzler: No, it begins with a 'C'
ColinJ: Cat
Puzzler: Are you sure?
ColinJ: 99%, yes!
Puzzler: Thanks. [Mutters under breath - Show off!]
:whistle:

Gunk

Guru
Can’t quite see why it’s a failed education system, unfortunately there are just some stupid people. My two kids went through our state system and did very well academically.

Alex321

Veteran
Can’t quite see why it’s a failed education system, unfortunately there are just some stupid people. My two kids went through our state system and did very well academically.

This was in America. Very different state system.

There are still plenty of people who do very well in it, but the overall standard of US education is significantly lower than ours (or most other Western countries).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Americans, you see, are all fat and thick.

I've lived and worked there and have family there and have not found this to be true. But that must just be a freak of statistics.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
I dropped into a filling station the other day and asked for a street map.
Generation Z was behind the counter. 'What's a street map?' asked GZ.
I explained what it was and GZ immediately picked up a mobile phone and asked me for the address I wanted.
I explained I would like a paper map to see the town and its approaches in context and so plan my journey accordingly.
GZ simply did not understand what I was talking about. I could not resist a leg-pull.
'One takes a large sheet of paper and places it on a roller to which one applies different coloured inks in precise positions which then depict the layout of a town. Such sheets can then be purchased, for example in filling stations.'
Utter confusion and incomprehension on the part of GZ.
I burst out laughing and left GZ in some kind of psycho-semantic crisis.
Once home, I got up a street map on screen and learnt the map. The next day, I drove straight to my desired destination using a round-about though simple route.
Lesson: my generation was taught effective memory skills.

Ripple

Veteran
At least 4 of my colleagues can't count. In their minds it's 1098 - 1099 - 2000, 2098 - 2099 - 3000, 3098 - 3099 - 4000 etc.

Top Bottom