Eeeeeeeeek!!! Thought I was gonna croak!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
Been off the bike for about a month or so due to weather and Christmas/New Year break but been running twice weekly so things are still in order.

Went on mtb to local woods scouting for fuel (have wood burning stove).

To get over M25 requires going up a steepish hill - usually I take a route that goes across the hill, reducing the slope but yesterday took another route that took me further down hill (makes hill longer) plus goes directly up it.

Got into granny gear, set up breathing rhythm and powered up the hill.

Once at the top, my heartbeat was ballistic and I was out of breathe big time. It felt as though the effort having to breathe was reducing my ability to breather and I could feel myself passing out. :sun:

So crouched down to save effort standing up and after several minutes things got back to normal.

But f*ck me, didn't half give me a fright. Never had that happen before.:smile:

Weird thing, is that usually climbing a hill I run out off puff or legs really start hurting so I have to stop, this time none of that happened. Not sure if my breathing was too deep so I was able to keep going and then oxygen debt kicked in big time or what?

Anyways, I'm still here. Need to get some more miles in and built up fitness gradually.

Old agae eh, who needs it! ?:bravo:

I know that feeling but I have asthma and I only get that when it's not controlled. Have you had any chest infections recently or noticed its taking longer to get your breath at the end of your running?

ASC1951

Guru
Crackle said:
Have you had any chest infections recently or noticed its taking longer to get your breath at the end of your running?
Yes to both. So far I have managed on occasional use of the blue one, but for the last month I have struggled especially in the cold. Have been given a purple 'preventer' as well but haven't got round to using it yet.

I keep thinking that one morning I'm going to wake up and find my breathing the same as it was three years ago.:wacko:

ASC1951 said:
Yes to both. So far I have managed on occasional use of the blue one, but for the last month I have struggled especially in the cold. Have been given a purple 'preventer' as well but haven't got round to using it yet.

I keep thinking that one morning I'm going to wake up and find my breathing the same as it was three years ago.:wacko:

Maybe start using the preventer!?!?!?!? Yikes I wouldn't dare go out mtbing in the cold without a blast on mine

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
since it is still winter and cold, I am not pushig myself running so just ticking over until it gets a bit warmer - so have not notced anything untoward when running.

first time ever for me but if you get this regulalry, then sympathies as it didn't half scare me.

I wonder if the cold air had something to do with it and I just pushed that bit too hard.

Weird that it happened as usuallly there is some warning prior to ever reaching that stage.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago playing football. I had had a cold and wasn't 100%. Suddenly became totally breathless and had a pounding heart, felt faint and volunteered to play in goal. I don't know how old you are but I have found as I have got older my longevity fitness seems to improve I can run or cycle at a steady pace for a long time but I am not as good with explosive energy anymore stop start sprints are an issue. Friends who are far more fit than I am have told me it is all part of getting older. That is why pro footballers and tennis players etc tend to retire in their mid thirties while marathon runners are only just getting good at this age. If you are worried see your GP though, it is always worth checking to be on the safe side.

ASC1951

Guru
Kirstie said:
Maybe start using the preventer!?!?!?!?
You could well be right. :angry:

I just have this lifelong antipathy to taking any sort of medication, especially stuff where the leaflet says I must never stop or my head will explode. At 60 that attitude may no longer be sustainable.

ASC1951 said:
You could well be right. :wacko:

I just have this lifelong antipathy to taking any sort of medication, especially stuff where the leaflet says I must never stop or my head will explode. At 60 that attitude may no longer be sustainable.
I felt like you when I started on regular take-these-for-the-rest-of-your-life stuff, when I was about 45. You get used to it - well: I did, now nearing 60 myself.

02GF74 - time to invest in a HRM and get some guidelines as to how much you can push your heart rate? For a fit person (as you no doubt are), brief palpitations and breathlessness are not a bad thing in themselves, but you need to control it: the last thing you want is to get into an unstable angina situation...:smile:

Sam Kennedy

Pushed myself into that zone a few times! I normally lose my hearing, or hear a ringing, lose my vision, lose balance and feel sick. Then I think "That was stupid"

Top Bottom