Eeek!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
So I was out practising my climbing on some of the hills around town this morning. Came down this long one at 30-35mph...lights at the bottom are red so I come to a stop, unclip and put my foot down. And then BOOM! Gunshot sound and my front tyre is flat. 10 seconds earlier and...:biggrin:
So what caused it? There's a 20cm rip across the tube!

pw2389

Joe said:
BOOM! Gunshot sound and my front tyre is flat. 10 seconds earlier and...:biggrin:
So what caused it? There's a 20cm rip across the tube!

Probably a pinch puncture i.e. a bit of the tube stuck between the rim and the tyre. When did you last have the tyre off?

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
pw2389 said:
Probably a pinch puncture i.e. a bit of the tube stuck between the rim and the tyre. When did you last have the tyre off?
A couple of weeks ago, but I have done a couple of hundred miles since then and I was really careful putting it on as I've had pinch puncture issues before.
It actually blew the tyre off the rim on one side.

pw2389

Joe said:
A couple of weeks ago, but I have done a couple of hundred miles since then and I was really careful putting it on as I've had pinch puncture issues before.
It actually blew the tyre off the rim on one side.

Last year when I got my latest bike, I did about 200 miles or so in the first couple of weeks. Then I pumped up the tyres to about 110 psi (I discovered they were about 70-80 psi at this point) and within 2 miles I suffered the same type of problem. The tyre started rubbing and when I got off to investigate, BOOM! and it took part of the tyre off the rim (as you experienced).

So you haven't pumped up the tyres to higher levels than before?

ash68

is the tyre sidewall damaged in any way, to cause it to blow off.Had one similar a couple of years ago,went of f with a real bang and the tyre wall had split pushing the tube out the side.Other than that perhaps the tyre wasn't quite sitting right on the rim? Pleased there's no lasting damage , could have been nasty.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
pw2389 said:
Last year when I got my latest bike, I did about 200 miles or so in the first couple of weeks. Then I pumped up the tyres to about 110 psi (I discovered they were about 70-80 psi at this point) and within 2 miles I suffered the same type of problem. The tyre started rubbing and when I got off to investigate, BOOM! and it took part of the tyre off the rim (as you experienced).

So you haven't pumped up the tyres to higher levels than before?
I did pump them up this morning actually, and I may have gone slightly over the 100psi I usually keep them at...

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I'd be careful for a while - don't want any other splits in rubbers do you? :biggrin:

Top Bottom