Effect of Ibuprofen on the guts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I stupidly re-awoke a long term knee problem and took Ibuprofen for about 5 days in an attempt to reduce the swelling.

My bowels have changed completely as a result - my stools have gone from being soft and bulky to tiny hard pebbles, which I can't expel. I am taking fibre in the form of ispaghula husk sachets, which helps but I am fearful that I may have done myself some kind of long-term damage.

Anybody got any experience of this?

domtyler

Über Member
Constipation or Diarrhoea are two of the main side effects of this drug. Unlikely to be long term problems RR, if you are worried you should really make an appointment with your GP so you can be told that you have nothing to worry about. You can also read up on the internet which has more information on Ibuprofen than you could read in a lifetime.

wafflycat

If I've got an aching muscle, joint, I tend to use an ibuprofen or diclofenac gel topically applied. Less upset on the innards yet works on the bit that's hurty-hurty.

col

Legendary Member
Im currently taking a couple of these every three or four hours for toothache,came on christmas day,and i cant get in till tomorrow,wakes me every morning at about three am.Have used these before regularly,and as long as its during or after eating,iv not had any problems,I was advised a long time ago to only take them with food,is this what you have been doing also?If not,have you considered that the festive food and drink activities,might have contributed?

U

User482

I tend to find it makes me feel very queasy. I use Nurofen gel for muscle aches, which works quite well.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
My ex used to take Lactulose (get it at the chemist) because the dihydrocodeine she was on for her pancreatitis used to lead to constipation because it dried her out.

Sounds like what you need to rehydrate your bowels and their contents....

domtyler

Über Member
goo_mason said:
My ex used to take Lactulose (get it at the chemist) because the dihydrocodeine she was on for her pancreatitis used to lead to constipation because it dried her out.

Sounds like what you need to rehydrate your bowels and their contents....

I'm actually eating my lunch at the moment so thanks for that Goo!! ;);)

freakhatz

Until early December I was on 'flat bed rest' for 30 days in hospital and the pain-killers did exactly the same thing (Codeine) despite high-fibre diet and loads of Lactulose. (Codeine is also used to combat diarrohea!) Ended up needing suppositories which is not nice:ohmy: Within a day or two of stopping the codeine and getting out of bed, everything was back to normal bowel-wise.

Blue

Legendary Member
Rigid Raider said:
I stupidly re-awoke a long term knee problem and took Ibuprofen for about 5 days in an attempt to reduce the swelling.
I am fearful that I may have done myself some kind of long-term damage.

I don't think that taking an over the counter NSAID for 5 days will cause any long term problem in anyone unless they have an individual issue with the drug. Stomach upsets are the most common side effect of these drugs and long term use can cause problems if prone to ulcers or the like.

Always read the instructions on/in the packet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Also watch out that your Christmas diet tends to be a bit rich...throws you off balance...be back to normal when back to my usual diet when at work...

Tynan

Veteran
thanks for sharing that, always nice to hear about someone else's problems

everyone reacts differently

used that voltorol gel recently and very good it was too, probably best for a localised problem

Top Bottom