Effect of other Cyclists on Your Commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've seen a few 10mph commuters on my regular route since I've been doing it, but today saw two cyclists doing a decent pace (along Parrs Wood Road, on the way towards Manchester centre).

I suspect they were toying with me a bit, because they stayed comfortably 4 or 5 bike lengths ahead, however much effort I made. I did notice that my overall commute time, and average speed were way faster today though, just because of my trying to keep up.

I lost them both at the lights where Parrs Wood Road joins Wilmslow Road - I dunno if they're Cycle Chat readers, but thanks chaps, in any case.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I practically never see anyone else on a bike. Not going my way. Once I was overtaken by a guy riding (or driving?) a Windcheetah when I was on my MTB. He was tough to keep up with, don't think he was trying too hard either. Never saw him again. Probably because he thought stupid MTB riders would ask him dumb questions everytime he stopped at the lights so he sold it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That will be near my route to my new work place - I will be coming up from Cheadle towards the cinema complex, then down into Didsbury...... and back. Look out for a blue mtb from October !

mikeitup

Veteran
I see one guy on my route regularly on the road. Proper roadie with lycra and all.
the rest are on pavements or rljs. one guy was drinking a can of beer at the lights at 7.45 this morning on his full susser. I was at the stop line, he was leaning on the traffic lights while he drank then rode off whilst they were still on red.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
fossyant said:
That will be near my route to my new work place - I will be coming up from Cheadle towards the cinema complex, then down into Didsbury...... and back. Look out for a blue mtb from October !

Ah, grand - I'll be the slow fellow on a red & white Nigel Dean Tourer - do say hello as you whiz past :blush:

I don't know which route you're planning, (or how well you know the area) but Cheadle Road is bloody awful between Cheadle Hulme and School Hill (where the cycle path starts) worth a detour to avoid it if you can (imo).

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
mikeitup said:
I see one guy on my route regularly on the road. Proper roadie with lycra and all.
the rest are on pavements or rljs. one guy was drinking a can of beer at the lights at 7.45 this morning on his full susser. I was at the stop line, he was leaning on the traffic lights while he drank then rode off whilst they were still on red.

Superb.

ChrisW

On my ride in along the King's Road there are always a least a dozen other bkies and and thats at 7 o'clock. There's more later.

This a.m. i overtook two guys on Putney Bridge, one on a Specialized Allez and one on a Trek. They caught me a bit later but a littel bit of old age and cunning ensured i got away from them again through some traffic. I went hell for leather up to Sloane Square and knew they were gaining on me..but i just held them off.

I then turned off and they went stright on...thank God, i was just about to collapse!

So usual journey in, i now need 8 hours to recover before doing the same on the way home..yea, i know, i should grow up!!!

PBancroft

I see about five or six other cyclists, not many going in my direction. Those that do, I figure it's best to let them go at their speed - as an asthmatic, I can't keep up with the fastest of them even if I tried, and as a youngun some of the slower ones are a little too slow for my liking.

Live and let live.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I used to pass an old fella on a "proper" (Dutch style?) Bike on a cycle path on way to work at 5.30am,
"Morning" says I
"Morning!!" says he touching his cap.
Missed him for a few weeks, in pub one day after work & overheard conversation between a couple of fellas, clicked who they were talking about, so asked, he'd passed away.
Funny, I felt like I'd lost a lifelong friend, but that's all we used to say to each other !!

Cab

I know the feeling Elmer. When one of the old timers on the allotments passed away, I really felt the loss. And all I'd ever talked to him about was brassicas. Some people seem to become 'fixtures and fittings'.

Top Bottom