Effectiveness of Glyphosate mixed with hard water

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This is Boston Ivy which is not a true Ivy. It attaches itself with tiny sucker hands unlike the true Ivy's.
View attachment 582932
This is the base of my Ivy, it's on a gable wall.
View attachment 582933

Ivy gets a bad rap, only in unsound mortar and copings would it cause problems.

However I'm far from confident the mortar in my back wall is at all sound! My was maybe the ivy was holding the wall up. In any case we've got proper ivy rather than the rather pretty not-ivy you shiw

However I'm far from confident the mortar in my back wall is at all sound! My was maybe the ivy was holding the wall up. In any case we've got proper ivy rather than the rather pretty not-ivy you shiw
You should show it the door if the pointing is blowing out in places. It doesn't fair well against glyphosate.
Don't buy from the DIY store, it's weedy stuff ^_^ and sold at extortionate prices.
Order a litre of 360g/L or stronger from an agricultural suppliers, well cheap. You can buy 5L of Gallup or Barclay 360 for £30. I think a litre will set you back £17.
A litre probably has the same content as a shelf full of the water that passes for glyphosate at B&Q.
What you don't use your friends will greatly thank you for. A litre of 360 or 450 at 20/25ml per litre of water is enough to kill every plant in a 50M radius of your house.
Oh! And as per my original post, use demin water to wring the best out of it!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Scaffolding pole inside and across the window. Old blanket either end to prevent it marking the wall.

and the rope all the way down to the end of the garden, and through a small hole I'd have to drill in the wooden fence, and I'd have to climb the wooden fence before getting onto the rope to abb down!

Joking aside I have abseiled out of a window belayed to a couple of 2x4 across a doorway. For my boiler job I stuck some bolts in the house wall; the backup was to my bed.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You should show it the door if the pointing is blowing out in places. It doesn't fair well against glyphosate.
Don't buy from the DIY store, it's weedy stuff ^_^ and sold at extortionate prices.
Order a litre of 360g/L or stronger from an agricultural suppliers, well cheap. You can buy 5L of Gallup or Barclay 360 for £30. I think a litre will set you back £17.
A litre probably has the same content as a shelf full of the water that passes for glyphosate at B&Q.
What you don't use your friends will greatly thank you for. A litre of 360 or 450 at 20/25ml per litre of water is enough to kill every plant in a 50M radius of your house.
Oh! And as per my original post, use demin water to wring the best out of it!

I bought a gallon of the good stuff. you dilute it 100:1 or summat, so it'll last me a while !

I bought a gallon of the good stuff. you dilute it 100:1 or summat, so it'll last me a while !
Aye it goes a long way! For two years I wasted a lot of money on pelargonic acid and agricultural vinegar. The vinegar was effective against none waxy broadleaf only. Pelargonic acid is ineffective, it may as well be a placebo.
The farming lobby is hanging on to glyphosate, it was supposed to be gone this year but I can see that can being kicked down the road.
Productivity goes down and prices go up with current intensive methods if it is phased out.
A lot of the glyphosate hatred in Europe stems from the notion of Glyphosate resistant GM crops rather than what harm it may be doing to pollinators which is rather selfish and sad.
I don't like using the stuff but there is nothing as effective.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
There was a really bad invasion of Russian vine some years ago. It came from a garden several houses away. In those days, RoundUp was glyphosate-based so I sprayed the invader growing up the side of our house with a triple overdose. Not much happened for about ten days before it started to yellow and get satisfyingly sick, before progressively dying back towards its remote source. Brilliant stuff, and that was in London which has reasonably hard water.

I'm interested. My toilet bowl constantly builds up with mineralisation here in staffs...
Paintbrush and hydrochloric acid after shutting the water off and flushing the cistern and bog bowl down.
Avoid the fumes, they aren't very dangerous but stink.
Keep it reasonably quick as the acid can bite the glaze.
Don't do this if you have a private sewage system unless you neutralise the contents with a base like washing soda to balance the pH out. Fine if its mains sewage, your contribution will be infinitesimally small.
HCI clears limescale like the proverbial dose of salts.

Top Bottom