Egg beaters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MessenJah

Rider
They're crap, apparently. Every eggbeater owner that I know of says the bearings went after about six months of frequent use. Quite a few online reviews mention this too. Which is a shame because I really like the look of them.

Time ATAC pedals might be a better option instead.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Everyone seems to go through a phase of trying them over the past several years.

But only once.

I think they were neither well enough made or offered any advantages that couldn't be got with other makes (especially Time) for less money and that lasted longer.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Chuffy has non-candy Eggbeaters and gets on with them really well. Don't think he's had any problems with them, and they have loads of float so are good for your knees.

if I didn't use ATACs I'd give them a try.

I have eggbeaters on all of my mtbs, they are the best pedal for riding in the UK because they shed the mud better than SPDs and you can get into them from 4 sides rather than 2.

The problems with the bearings going only occurred in the initial model. Since then they have changed the design, and the way in which you grease them, and they last a lot lot longer. In fact I've yet to change the bearings on any of my most recent pairs - recent being 3+ years old. To me they out-perform SPDs by a country mile and I wouldn't mtb on any other pedal.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Kirstie said:
I have eggbeaters on all of my mtbs, they are the best pedal for riding in the UK because they shed the mud better than SPDs and you can get into them from 4 sides rather than 2.

I had a lot of trouble getting used to mine when I first started using them - one in particular just seemed very difficult to clip into. But it was probably my fault, since then they have been fine ever since (mind, you I haven't used them very much...).

U

User482

The latest versions of SPDs are much better than the old ones at shedding mud - I've never had a problem with them. As for longevity - I still have a set of (working) SPDs that I bought in 1993!

Baggy said:
Chuffy has non-candy Eggbeaters and gets on with them really well. Don't think he's had any problems with them, and they have loads of float so are good for your knees.

if I didn't use ATACs I'd give them a try.
Er, apart from the bearings going.....:biggrin:
Mind you, they are the (very) cheap Smarty model and I was too slow to figure out how to get into them to service the bearings. If I get off my arse and actually service them they might well be perfectly ok. :tired:
They still ride perfectly well (despite having loads of play) so I'm not too bothered. Very nice pedal to use though. :biggrin:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I been using Eggbeaters since 2002 and they really are very good. Bearing life is fine too, but you need to flush them through with grease every now and then. great pedals.

maurice

I'm half tempted by eggbeaters after the mud clogging problems I had with spds at an endurance race on the weekend. Having to stop and clear the pedal/shoe isn't good.

What puts me off is how I'd need to change both bikes pedals over, and that every crank bros product I've bought has been crap.

Fiona N

Veteran
MessenJah said:
They're crap, apparently. Every eggbeater owner that I know of says the bearings went after about six months of frequent use. Quite a few online reviews mention this too. Which is a shame because I really like the look of them.

Time ATAC pedals might be a better option instead.

My first pair of Candy's bearings went within a month (ca. 1000km of wear) but there was absolutely no problem from the distributors getting a replacement pair of pedals. Moreover this replacement pair went on the mtb for a trip through the remote mountains of northern India for 3 weeks - so I wasn't expecting any more problems.
Since then I've also put Candies on the Windcheetah and Quattros (road version with larger platforms) on the Speedmachine. I've had no further problems and they've been excellent, comfortable pedals needing minimal servicing. Total mileage now exceeds 50,000km so I reckon they're doing their job.

My understanding is there was a quality control issue with some of the sealed bearing units used until about 3 years ago. Once this lot worked thier way through the system, the problems have vastly reduced. And, anyway, Crank Brothers and their distributors honoured the 1 year guarantees without quibbles IME.

Top Bottom