Eire - N25...... how is it for cycling on ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thinking of doing a tour of Eire next Spring, and looks like I'll have to do a short length along the N25 from Cork westward.:sad:

Last time I was there, the N25 was a main road, but nowhere near busy.....BUT, what's it like now ? Can anyone give me some advice - cycle it or not cycle it.

(was once advised off the A9 on my LEJOG in 08, and good advice it proved too.... had to take it from Inverness onto the Black Isle.... it has been the only time I have ever feared for my life whilst riding..... and I'm not joking);)

Hi Paul,

I drove down the N25 a couple of times this summer and it can get busy especially at weekends: traffic to and from Rosslare and the ferry. Like many Irish N roads it does have a hardshoulder/slow lane in some places and I think I even saw some dedicated cycle path (but i could be wrong on this as I was not specifically looking out for it). Out of Cork there is the shiny new(ish) dual carridgeway and the old road which runs if not alongside then in teh same direcion. On balance if you are confortable in traffic then I think it will be okay.

This is as I said based on being in the car it may feel rather different when on the bike and so anyone please feel free to contradict me.

barnesy

Touring ireland this summer i came into cork along the N25 from Youghal and Carrigtwohill. Had a nice hard shoulder all the way, never once felt under pressure form any car because of this. Cork centre was a different story though, traffic got heavy and one way systems were hard to follow. Left cork via the N27 heading to the N28 i think. The road was big and new and made for some fast although very boring cycling.

Top Bottom