Either of these worth saving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Saw these two at the same place I bought the Allan. The Raleigh has a Nottingham head badge and the only original bits look like the chainset and frame. Wrap over seat stays so I thought it may be a bit special. The other one has 105 group set on it and is quite light so may be 531. Unfortunately it’s been painted and no markings are visible. I’ve been looking for a bike for a single speed project so thought one of these might do. I particularly like the Raleigh and it’s my size. Any idea as to date?

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
The metallic Raleigh has a Carlton frame with Crespera lugs, usually a USA export, looks like a 25" long fellow size

The hand painted frame has shot in seat stays which required a degree of skill and the lugs, dropouts and fork crown look nice so not a shabby frame and likely good tube set.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The metallic Raleigh has a Carlton frame with Crespera lugs, usually a USA export, looks like a 25" long fellow size
That would tie in, there's a Swiss I think dealer sticker. I've had another look and the black panel on the top tube has 'Grand Prix' on it. Ring any bells?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The big frame with the wrapover stays will almost certainly be made from Carlton "tru-wel" steel, a sort of hi-tensile+ quality from reading between the lines of the literature I've seen.
The smaller one I would imagine is either 531 or some flavour of Columbus, I can't see anything with those sort of seatstays being built from regular cooking-grade steel tubing.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If the vendor is being sensible on price, I'd be inclined to take the pair of them, if nothing else the second bike could be used for mechanical spares and the frame clearly isn't a cheap one. i know from comments previously made by @Cycleops and the bargain Colnago he sourced for Mr. Biggs, that drop bar bikes aren't especially sought after in that neck of the woods. That could work in the buyer's favour if the locals aren't enamoured of that sort of bike..

Top Bottom