elastomer blocks do they have a limited life?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My son has a second hand airimal, he says that the elastomer suspension block is starting to get cracks in it.

Has anyone had problems like this, is it just a cosmetic or a real issue.

Any suggestions where I can get a replacement. Other than the manufacturer. Are these similar to skateboard blocks...

(I've not seen the bike yet)

Elastomer is just a generic name for rubber. Some rubbers have a limited life, other a longer limit to their life. Cracks are of no concern. Absolute hardening and absolute softening yes.

Kell

Veteran
I used to have a Pro-Flex back in the 90s and that used Elastomers for suspension.

They hardened and stopped giving any 'Flex'. Sure I read somewhere (or heard somewhere as this was the 90's and there weren't that many forums) that sticking them in boiling water would rejuvenate them, but it never seemed to work for me.

Wish I'd kept that bike.

(Sorry - this post has been no help at all.)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I used to have a Pro-Flex back in the 90s and that used Elastomers for suspension.

They hardened and stopped giving any 'Flex'. Sure I read somewhere (or heard somewhere as this was the 90's and there weren't that many forums) that sticking them in boiling water would rejuvenate them, but it never seemed to work for me.

Wish I'd kept that bike.

(Sorry - this post has been no help at all.)
Pace forks. Ditto.

OP
OP
currystomper
Yup he cracked it 14972938603661529440194.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I had Pace carbon elastomer forks years ago, seemed fine at the time..
At the time the elastomers were relatively new. (and they were state of the art, an art which has since moved on.)

Try riding them several years later. Degrading experience.

Top Bottom