Elbow problems!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam2008

Hi
I biked 30 miles recently, and for a few days after my elbows hurt. Should I be biking with my arms locked off or have a slight bend in them?
Thanks, Adam

walker

A slight bend. if your arms are out straight you don't have any cushion for bumps etc. push your saddle closer to front of the bike to give some leway

domtyler

Über Member
Are you new to cycling? If so it is quite normal to get strange aches and pains in the early days, they will go after a few weeks so don't worry. If they don't just go then you know you have some kind of problem.

Maz

Guru
Are you new to cycling?
What kind of bike is it? Is it one of these:
upside-down-bicycle.gif

(er, i agree with wot dom said ;))

OP
OP
adam2008

adam2008

Yeah I am new to long distance biking.
My bike is similar to that model but looks more like this!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Agree with the above posts. Your saddle may be a bit too far back. try moving it forward a little at a time. you shpuld have a slight bend in your arm to absorb some of the road shock that the forks don't absorb.

OP
OP
adam2008

adam2008

If it is to do the shock (obviously the straight arms too), is there an arguement for taking some air out of the tyres? I currently have them up to ~100psi and there is no give, not even when I sit 12st on it.

Maz

Guru
Most road tyres are inflated to about 115-120 psi which is quite normal.
If you are new to road bikes or any bike without suspension, I think you'll have to give it time to get used to the 'bumpiness' of the ride, to be honest.
Deflating the tyres will make your ride less efficient and you will be more prone to punctures.

Odyssey

It could be that you're holding a bit of excess tension in your arms, especially if you're newish to riding (I don't know if that's the case). And I think you'd definately expect some pain if you were riding with your arms locked - that wouldn't be good for your joints at all!

Bent arms. And relax.

OP
OP
adam2008

adam2008

Ok. So I need to do 3 things.
1) bend my arms
2) move saddle forward
3) give it time!
I used to a front suspension bike. I had never been on a road bike before getting the one above and the first thing I thought was... "Man, that saddle looks sore" and "Man, its bumpy!" But with all your advice its getting better and I do enjoy it which I guess is the important thing!
Thanks for all your help!

domtyler

Über Member
Road bikes are full suspension!!

Unweight the saddle and bend your arms and you will see what I mean. The trick is to build up the strength and endurance to do this and that takes time and dedication. The more training you do and the fitter you get the easier you will find it.

Watch how the pros ride, their arses barely ever touch their saddles.

Tynan

Veteran
yep, as fitness and comfort and strength in creases you'll put less and less weight onto the saddle and indeed bars and kinda float on the bike, kinda

and arms should defo have some slack in them, a straight arm point s to the bike not being set up right at all, I'd seek some advice from LBS possible, you want the reach to the bars as well as the seat height, and angle and position to all be about right

Maz

Guru
I don't get it. With a road bike don't you sit on the seat? Yeah on an uphill you might stand on the pedals, but otherwise you're seated, right? not right?.

walker

Maz said:
I don't get it. With a road bike don't you sit on the seat? Yeah on an uphill you might stand on the pedals, but otherwise you're seated, right? not right?.

your right maz, I think dom is getting mixed up with track riders

Top Bottom