Elecrtic assist & SVA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Enquired about the Electric Assist regulations with regards to placing a wheelchair motor, to help on some of the longer climbs round here, on a Brox.
Quads not being covered/recognised by the regulations.

Cutting it as short as possible:
If I do fit a wheelchair motor, I will have to have it tested under the SVA regulations. In order to undergo this test the vehicle has to be registered, MOT'd & taxed. I'll also require the appropriate licence to ride it.

However, having already visited one VOSA test station where I was told that they were unable to test it at it doesn't have an engine. Nor does it have a registration mark, of any sort. "Primary power is supplied through a set of rotaing cranks & a chain". This kind of rules out getting the thing taxed as well.

Am unable to get an MOT, again no-one able to test it & no test for it.

Anyone got any ideas on how the above may be got.

SVA has now been superceded by IVA. (for cars anyway).
AFAIK the limit for electric bikes is 250W motor and 15mph. Keep it below that and its still a bike so shouldn't be any need for any testing. CTC article here. Anything above that and it becomes an electric motorcycle, so you'd have to wear a crash helmet. I'd stay well clear of anything more powerful and the whole testing thing. Doubt you'd ever get a clear answer from DVLA anyway.

Hmm. Article says bikes and trikes, which obviously won't cover a Brox. What I suggest to cover that dilemma is sell it to me as its flat around here and I wouldn't need the assistance anyway.:biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Piemaster said:
SVA has now been superceded by IVA. (for cars anyway).
AFAIK the limit for electric bikes is 250W motor and 15mph.
Doubt you'd ever get a clear answer from DVLA anyway.

Hmm. Article says bikes and trikes, which obviously won't cover a Brox. What I suggest to cover that dilemma is sell it to me as its flat around here and I wouldn't need the assistance anyway.:biggrin:

With regards the speed, I'm only looking at 5mph top. As for getting a a clear answer from the DVLA, your right.
Not covered by regulations, hence SVA. Having enquired, again, told that a pedal cycle cannot be tested under the SVA.

Not looking at selling it. Too much fun.

Night Train. Thanks for the links. A couple of new avenues to try cycling down

Top Bottom