Electric egg boiler/poacher anyone ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Edited.....
Not something I have ever thought of but local store has the Salter ones on offer and Mrs D fancies getting one.
Any got one/used one ?
Any opinions ?

Edit
No wonder its on offer......I have just found out they have none in stock.
There is a joke there :blush:

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I never knew such a thing existed.

Tommy2

Über Member
I had one of these a few years ago, I probably only used it a handful of times, wouldn’t surprise me if it’s stil in the loft with the bread maker and latte maker I only used a handful of times too :smile:

I'm not sure about the poacher part, but I love our egg boiler. It is small, simple and boils eggs perfectly each time. I eat a lot of boiled eggs, so it makes sense for me, perhaps not for you. When I poach eggs, it's in a pot, the traditional way.

The egg boiler's timing mechanism is absolutely ingenious and reeks of pure applied science. I love it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
How does the timing mechanism work then @Yellow Saddle ? Since half minutes might be critical for some I guess it's not just a clockwork escapement? Certainly not digital either I suppose?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
How does the timing mechanism work then @Yellow Saddle ? Since half minutes might be critical for some I guess it's not just a clockwork escapement? Certainly not digital either I suppose?
I have a boiler/poacher/toaster and I like it. The "Timer" on mine is on the little pot you get for the water that you then pour into the machine. There are a series of water level marks on for however hard or soft you want the egg.

It works like smokey Joe above, says. There is nothing digital in there at all. It isn't actually timed at all. A known quantity of water is added per egg. More eggs, less water. Harder eggs, more water, softer eggs, less water. It's all calibrated for you.

The water is poured onto a heated flat bottom below the eggs which don't touch the bottom. The heater then boils the water which evaporates through a small hole in the domed lid. As soon as the water is boiled off, the heated flat bottom rapidly increases in temperature and a thermostat turns it off and sets off an almighty buzzer that even woke Lazarus on one occasion.

The eggs are therefore steamed in their shells, not technically boiled. The effect is the same.

Once you know your favourite "setting" in volume of water and desired effect, the eggs are boiled to perfection each time. It doesn't matter what size the eggs are and small variations don't have a big effect on their end state.

It is pure industrial genius.

Smudge

Veteran
I once used one of those microwave egg poacher things...... followed the instructions and pierced the yolks etc etc.
I didn't end well at all, but the dog enjoyed eating the end result.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I once used one of those microwave egg poacher things...... followed the instructions and pierced the yolks etc etc.
I didn't end well at all, but the dog enjoyed eating the end result.
Likewise. Ours came from Australia or somewhere. The blurb was highly convincing. Useless at poaching eggs but it did prove to be a half-way decent explosive device.

Top Bottom