electric motor for normal bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Virtual DBP

hi there,

my wife and i tried to go for a cycle the other day and it was a nightmare. basically she cant do hills at all and has no interest in trying to get better which really means that unless i plot a perfectly flat route (impossible where i am) she isn't going to come out for a cycle with me.

anyway, i had the thought of getting an electricly assisted one (watched them recently on the gadget show) but is it possilbe to buy a kit that can be fitted to a normal bicycle as opposed to buying a pre-built one?

and if so, are they any good?

Cheers,

Cam

Randochap

Senior hunter
Depends on the bike, but most hybrids are appropriate for conversion.

The best on the market is Bion-X, manufactured in Quebec. Don't know offhand if their are distributors in UK.

I've seen many in and out of the shop. They are not without issues like any complex electronic/electrical system, but are most reliable I have had contact with.

Keep in mind that they add considerable weight (though again the Bion-X is the best of the bunch) making it very unpleasant to ride if the motor quits or the battery runs down. Range for the best L-ion battery is about 30km.

on edit: Looks like European dealers: http://www.bionx.ca/where-to-buy/

trickletreat

Veteran
The retro kits that will actually help on hills don't come cheap, so it is important to get good advice before buying.

I eventually had a bike built by Steve at Electricmountainbikes.com, he is a one man band and a real enthusiast.

A couple of kits come to mind, the bionx, as mentioned and Heinzman. It really is a good idea to talk it through with Steve as he is not tied to one manufacturer. He will quickly work out what is best for you.

The Heinzmann rear hub that was fitted to my MTB is now in my trike, and was fairly easy to install.

trickletreat

Veteran
Another option would be to buy secondhand, try the 'for sale' on pedelecs forum. It is also a good place for advice. If you buy used then you will have a chance at getting your money back if it doesn't suit her.

The electric assist might just make it enjoyable for her, which in turn may lead her to try harder. I have found that my fitness has improved over this last year, as the amount of help I ask of the motor has reduced. Without the aid of the motor I would have found it very hard to start cycling again.

Top Bottom