electric paint sprayer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
me son has just bought a house that needs painting all through, for emulsion on the walls ive been looking at electric paint sprayers,but I have never used on , has anyone tried one , @screenman do they give a good finish, i know it will also depend on prep work, which is best out of these two types ,

both electric one is just gun and bottle..
..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wagner-W...731781&hash=item5460f19946:g:FA0AAOSwzf9bYqvz

the other uses a hosehttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Paint-Sprayer-Gun-Indoor-Walls-Fast-Easy-Outdoor-Fence-Painting-800W/392306979282?epid=16031184074&hash=item5b575171d2:g:O9MAAOSwAi1c9Aa~

any help appreciated

postman

Legendary Member
Ne ver used one,but don't you have to cover up windows doors skirting fireplace etc with paper and tape.Let us know how you get on.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Sounds a lot of work masking off the woodwork compared to a roller- unless you're just spraying everything white then give the woodwork a coat of gloss/satin finish?

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Can you use the paint straight from the can? Not sure if you average emulsion is 90 DIN-sec or thicker.
If you have to thin it then you'll just end up needing more coats to achieve a satisfactory finish.
The second, more powerful one seems a better bet (only had a very brief look at each) with a bigger paint capacity.
These things seem best suited to thin coatings like fence treatment.
I'll stick with a brush & roller.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I can't help noting that I have never seen spray painting used for domestic (or commercial) decorating. And even where spraying is the norm - cars, bike frames, kitchen cabinets etc - compressed air sprayers are used.

Now I must concede I've not used an electric sprayer so it just might be an undiscovered wonder, but still ...

That said, I bought a cheap pump up sprayer for creosoting the fence, and despite serious doubts, it was actually very good, and a lot less hassle than the distemper brush. It still went everywhere though

screenman

Legendary Member
Go and hire a decent one from a hire shop, airless is the only way to go for emulsion paint, those one's you are looking at are toys in my humble. !2 inch roller and a paint scuttle is my preferred way of decorating. If doing large area's do not mess with a 9 inch, waste of time and never such a good finish.

screenman

Legendary Member
me son has just bought a house that needs painting all through, for emulsion on the walls ive been looking at electric paint sprayers,but I have never used on , has anyone tried one , @screenman do they give a good finish, i know it will also depend on prep work, which is best out of these two types ,

both electric one is just gun and bottle..
..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wagner-W...731781&hash=item5460f19946:g:FA0AAOSwzf9bYqvz

the other uses a hosehttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Paint-Sprayer-Gun-Indoor-Walls-Fast-Easy-Outdoor-Fence-Painting-800W/392306979282?epid=16031184074&hash=item5b575171d2:g:O9MAAOSwAi1c9Aa~

any help appreciated

The first one you can find on Amazon, read through the reviews and it says not good for emulsion, fine for decking etc. Same for the second one.

midlife

Guru
Anybody remember Portaflek :smile:

U

User6179

Time using electric paint sprayer-20 minutes Time refilling electric paint sprayer- 3 hours

I bought one once to paint a fence.

classic33

Leg End Member
I can't help noting that I have never seen spray painting used for domestic (or commercial) decorating. And even where spraying is the norm - cars, bike frames, kitchen cabinets etc - compressed air sprayers are used.

Now I must concede I've not used an electric sprayer so it just might be an undiscovered wonder, but still ...

That said, I bought a cheap pump up sprayer for creosoting the fence, and despite serious doubts, it was actually very good, and a lot less hassle than the distemper brush. It still went everywhere though
They'll have moisture traps for removing the water from the air supply. Usually fewer parts to go wrong, whilst doing volume work.

Electric would use an electric pump to feed the paint spray. Normally thinner paint than one run of a compressor required.

screenman

Legendary Member
There are plenty of airless sprayers available for the job the op wants to do, unfortunately not at the price he wants to pay, which is why I suggested hiring.

Last edited:

kiwifruit

Über Member
There's very few places that hire spraying machine now as people don't clean the machine correctly and block the nozzle and filter. If you can find somewhere go for something like a airless Graco.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I might have been completely wrong on some of the above. I now understand that airless and HVLP (high volume low pressure" sprayers can be pukka kit used by pro's not just toys for amateurs. I'm going down a similar investigation for respraying my kitchen cabinets

Top Bottom