Electrical question...any sparks out there !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Worth checking the light at the top of the stairs, its switched downstairs and is part of the downstairs loop.
Sorry...I'm not the brightest on electrics.You mean the switch downstairs that is a double that does two lights (upstairs and downstairs ) ?

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Sorry...I'm not the brightest on electrics.You mean the switch downstairs that is a double that does two lights (upstairs and downstairs ) ?
Yes.:okay:

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Checked switch downstairs seems ok,turns light on upstairs but not downstairs.Switch upstairs ok...I give up.Time to try and find a sparky.Thanks for the help though !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A simple fault with a switch or socket can cause trips. I found an issue with a kitchen wall socket that was causing the whole house to trip - took some time to find out what it was. We also have an outdoor light that can cause electrical issues occasionally (water get's in the connection).

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
A simple fault with a switch or socket can cause trips. I found an issue with a kitchen wall socket that was causing the whole house to trip - took some time to find out what it was. We also have an outdoor light that can cause electrical issues occasionally (water get's in the connection).
Yea I know,but it's not tripping the fuse.Was but not anymore.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Have you checked all the bulbs…….a blown bulb can cause the rest not to work
Yea thanks mate...first thing I did.Managed to get a spark I know to have a look on his way home tommorow evening.Done all I can with my knowledge....isn't much !

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Not that anyone's interested but had the sparky round tonight and sort of sorted ! Couldn't find exactly where the fault was but he thinks more than likely a junction box under the floor.Tested all lights and switches which were ok.So wired it up to the upstairs light ring and we have light !
Thanks for the replies

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Well started to blow again,been two evening tracing it to a broken wire in wall cavity.Managed to pull a new wire through last night after excessive sweating...lucky I know the spark ! Fingers crossed now.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not that anyone's interested but had the sparky round tonight and sort of sorted ! Couldn't find exactly where the fault was but he thinks more than likely a junction box under the floor.Tested all lights and switches which were ok.So wired it up to the upstairs light ring and we have light !
Thanks for the replies
My first reaction was....it will be back.
Well started to blow again,been two evening tracing it to a broken wire in wall cavity.Managed to pull a new wire through last night after excessive sweating...lucky I know the spark ! Fingers crossed now.
We have a fault on a machine at work, occasionally blows fuses, sometimes consecutively, one after the other,,..then it's ok for a month. It's ok now....but it's not of course.
Glad you found the source...nightmare.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
My first reaction was....it will be back.

We have a fault on a machine at work, occasionally blows fuses, sometimes consecutively, one after the other,,..then it's ok for a month. It's ok now....but it's not of course.
Glad you found the source...nightmare.
Was fine for two days after he'd been and tested each switch,light fitting.Then wired it to upstairs ring.
I kid you not he rang to ask if ok and the moment I put the phone down....tripped !
He was saying they don't wire it like that anymore,junction boxes under floor.Said they do it to the lights so easier to detect fault ? Something like that anyway.

Top Bottom