Electrical question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 5277583, member: 45"]We had a sparky round this afternoon to wire up a new light and a couple of sockets. As part of his checks he wanted to see whether the gas supply and water supply were earthed. He found the earth on the water, which needs to be renewed, but can't find the gas earth anywhere. So we need to get it sorted.

We've been in the house for 5 years, and have a certificate from the previous owner from 2010 when the consumer unit was replaced to say all checks had been done and the earths were present. The gas one clearly wasn't.

Is it worth going back to the electrician who did the work 8 years ago, or has too much time passed?[/QUOTE]
It isn't a big job to do. Get some earthing clamps ( a quid each) and a few metres of 10mm2 earth cable ( a quid a metre) and do it yourself. YouTube will tell you how to do this simple task. Getting a tradesman back after 8 years isn't even worth considering.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've just had the same, gas pipes weren't earthed. It should have been done by the people who installed the gas pipes, and any subsequent owners wouldn't necessarily know anyhting's a miss. As above, it was a 5 min job

D

Deleted member 26715

As above, it was a 5 min job
That all depends on where the gas meter is, ours is at the opposite end of the house to the electric meter

[QUOTE 5278087, member: 45"]Where did you earth it from and to?[/QUOTE]
At the gas meter end it needs putting onto the inside feed coming from the gas meter, it needs going into the earth bar inside the consumer unit, if you are going to do this yourself ensure that you are confident enough to work in a consumer unit, which although it will be switched off (I hope) it will still be live in certain places.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
That all depends on where the gas meter is, ours is at the opposite end of the house to the electric meter

At the gas meter end it needs putting onto the inside feed coming from the gas meter, it needs going into the earth bar inside the consumer unit, if you are going to do this yourself ensure that you are confident enough to work in a consumer unit, which although it will be switched off (I hope) it will still be live in certain places.

Please don't tell people to put their bonding into the CU. All bonding should go to the Main Earth Terminal, which @User is a small metal terminal block typically located next to you consumer unit, and will be where your water pipe is bonded to.

I suspect your electrician today needlessly replaced the 6mm sq water bond with 10mm sq (NICEIC registered as a guess) to meet current regs.

As others have said, a couple of bonding clamps and earth cable will only cost a few quid and it's an easy job to DIY. It should be tested afterwards.

[QUOTE 5277583, member: 45"]We've been in the house for 5 years, and have a certificate from the previous owner from 2010 when the consumer unit was replaced to say all checks had been done and the earths were present. The gas one clearly wasn't.[/QUOTE]

Naughty, naughty.....

I saw this quite a lot back in the day when I was still sparkying (among other dodgy things) and if what you say is true then it is both negligent and dangerous.

Dangerous because the gas pipe has the potential to become live at mains voltage under a fault condition with no path back to earth to operate the protection (trips/fuses/RCD etc) and thus stay live.

Negligent because the “electrician” who certified the installation has declared it’s there and been tested and passed suitable for BS7671 (or whatever the wiring regs BS number is these days- I’ve been out the game a while!)

You may get some redress if the electrician in question is part of an approved body like NICEIC and report them through these.

Quite frankly if they’re pulling them kind of stunts they should be banned.

The job itself is a piece of cake but would then need to be tested afterwards by an approved electrical contractor. 10mm is usually the recommended size nowadays but a professional contractor will better advise on this.

Top Bottom