electrical tape used as rim tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I've used masking tape as a temporary rim tape before, but the only things I've used electrical tape for is handlebar tape and for attaching things to the bike.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I would never use electrician's tape, it's a soft flexible vinyl that goes even softer in warm conditions. First steep hill and it would squeeze up into the spoke holes with the heat of braking. Pop. Proper rim tape is dry and has rigidity across its width.

It works though, all our bikes since about 1980 use Electricians tape and it never fails.

tyred

Legendary Member
It works though, all our bikes since about 1980 use Electricians tape and it never fails.

All my bikes have it too without a problem.

I always have a lot of insulating tape in stock as I do a lot of electrical work in my spare time and only use better quality stuff from the motofactors. You can buy maybe 10 rolls for a £1 in a market or something but it's useless for taping up wiring and I wouldn't use it on my rims either.

tyred

Legendary Member
Do not be the one who gets a puncture and then when clubmates stop to help, they see green and yellow striped rim tape.
In which case I will point ou that it matches my green bike. Serious cyclists need to have things colour co-ordinated...

It would help a lot, if the manufacturers (or maybe the bike shop?) were to fit rim tape of the correct width in the first place. I don't know whether it is Bianchi who are the only offenders, or whether it's more commonplace, but on three different bikes I've had punctures because the tape wasn't covering the full width of the spoke holes (which on the original cheap-O wheels, were not ferruled). :angry:

The first time it happened the wheel went back to the bike shop, they were apologetic, replaced the tape for me, and threw in a few spare inners FOC to compensate for the punctures I'd had. Nice of them, but it shouldn't really have happened in the first place. On the later occasions, I just thought 'sod it' and wound electrical tape around the rims until I got a chance to get the correct rim tape.

That's what I'd regard electrical tape as - a stopgap. I note the disadvantages others have already mentioned. One other drawback is: if it's too wide, it'll cover the raised parts of the rim upon which the tyre bead sits, making it even harder to get the tyre on...

Davidc

Guru
Pity about the old inner tube - I've used them as rim tape in the past. Needs a proper Stanley knife and an old steel ruler to prepare it.

Bought proper ones are best though.

What sort of tape did you use FF - presumably not the gooey plastic stuff.

awfulquiet

My LBS will give them free if you ask nicely. Or charge a small (really small) amount of money.

Wiggle sells it for as little as £1.50 per wheel...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Pity about the old inner tube - I've used them as rim tape in the past. Needs a proper Stanley knife and an old steel ruler to prepare it.

Bought proper ones are best though.

What sort of tape did you use FF - presumably not the gooey plastic stuff.

I use whatever I have to hand in the garage, it'll just be regular B&Q stuff, nothing special. It only needs to sit there.

Davidc

Guru
I use whatever I have to hand in the garage, it'll just be regular B&Q stuff, nothing special. It only needs to sit there.

I'm surprised it works, but you've done it, I haven't.

I don't need any at the moment, 4 wheels on 2 bikes with 'proper' tapes, but I always carry some of that tape in the tool kit so I've stored the information in one of the dark and rarely visited recesses of my brain ready for when I need a rim tape out on the road!

rh100

So what's best - plastic or fabric? I've got plastic stuff on mine but it doesn't seem to sit well in the rim - has been ok so far though. Is it worth getting the fabric stuff for next time the tyres are off?

tyred

Legendary Member
So what's best - plastic or fabric? I've got plastic stuff on mine but it doesn't seem to sit well in the rim - has been ok so far though. Is it worth getting the fabric stuff for next time the tyres are off?
Use electrical tape and the adhesives hold it in place :thumbsup:

Top Bottom