electrical tape used as rim tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
it will work - probably need to go round twice though

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have to say, hard core tightwad as I am, rim tape's one thing I just won't economise on. It makes *so* much difference to the riding experience. ebay + patience = £5 or £6 for the real thing, and it lasts, what, two years? That's got to be worth it.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
All true I guess - regretting cutting up and old inner tube as I reckon I could have made a decent one out of that!

Looks like I can get a couple of rolls for £5ish on ebay.... you guys are right, not worth skinting out on this one

gbb

Legendary Member
Did it myself a few months ago on a rebuild for my son. Had the wheels, no tape. I used insulation tape, wrapped two or three times. All worked well, until he got a flat last week. Once the tyre was off, exactly as ColinJ says, it had shrivelled, exposing the spoke nipples. In itself, that didnt cause the puncture, but not desireable.

In short, its ok as a short term fix...but short term only IMO.

C

chillyuk

In the past I have used the black fabric insulating tape without any problems. I have also used it to build up the diameter of handlebars prior to wrapping with proper handlebar tape.

Bog standard insulating tape is a recipe for disaster if you cycle anywhere where it is a bit warm

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've been using 2 layers of regular plastic insulating tape on all of mine and my families bikes for nearly 30 years and never had a single problem due to it.
Use with confidence.

If you're out of bike grease, Vaseline works a treat too.

MessenJah

Rider
I've been using 2 layers of regular plastic insulating tape on all of mine and my families bikes for nearly 30 years and never had a single problem due to it.
Use with confidence.

If you're out of bike grease, Vaseline works a treat too.

Butter is better

battered

Guru
I've never had to replace rim tape. When I wear out a wheel the rim tape goes in the bits box and I reuse it. That's free.:thumbsup:

Maybe elec tape can be made to work but if it lets a spoke point through you'll be cursing. Also with proper cloth fond de jante at £1.60 a roll, why not use something you know will work for ever?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I would never use electrician's tape, it's a soft flexible vinyl that goes even softer in warm conditions. First steep hill and it would squeeze up into the spoke holes with the heat of braking. Pop. Proper rim tape is dry and has rigidity across its width.

Top Bottom