Cannondale Synapse rim brake tyre clearance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Velochris

Über Member
In particular the models around 2014-2015. These were sold as having clearance for 28mm tyres (which will be subject to having calipers which can accommodate).

Anybody have this bike? What size/model tyres do you have and how much clearance is there?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In which case 28s should work. It's not the brake caliper clearance but the the chain stays where things can get a bit tight. I have an older Trek and they only just fit, but as long as there is clearance...
Not sure what question you're asking.

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
As I recall, the 28 tyres they came with were Mavics, which ran narrow.

I would be riding a rim with a 19mm internal and not the Mavic tyres. I am asking to gauge what clearance there is on different tyres (actual width, not stated width).

Bristolian

My 2010 Specialized Allez is the same as Cycleops' Trek, 28's fit and there's loads of room around the rim brake callipers ... but there is bu99er all space for anything else between the frame and the tyres :sad:

Ajax Bay

Guru
As I recall, the 28 tyres they came with were Mavics, which ran narrow.
I would be riding a rim with a 19mm internal and not the Mavic tyres. I am asking to gauge what clearance there is on different tyres (actual width, not stated width).
Generally I'd expect nearly all models of tyre, nominally 28mm, at 75psi on a 19mm internal rim width to come up wider than spec. Some makes/models err more than others.
This site: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews has a large db which shares the measured tyre width of every '25' tyre on 17mm IRW rims at 100psi.
Extrapolate from there to inform your choice of tyre which will fit the clearances of a frame. I'd expect tyre width to increase (rule of thumb) 1/4 the additional IRW and 0.5mm per 10psi (plus or minus).
how much clearance is there?
Measure the distances between chainstays (1) and seatstays (2) and fork blades (3) at 34cm from the axle.

Last edited:

Windle

Über Member
I have a 2007 model Synapse (presumably designed for the then usual 23 mm tyres) that currently has (admittedly fairly narrow) 32 mm tyres on it, which just say fit, the tightest clearance being the fork crown area. I imagine if the bike is supposedly suitable for 28 mm tyres then there should be ample clearance.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I had an alloy Synapse - might have been 2011? It came on 23s and I moved to 25s then to 28s. I recall that although it had a 105 groupset, the calipers were unbranded with a long drop. The 28s fitted the frame, fork and brakes no problem, even with full mudguards on.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Synapse is /was their "endurance" bike. there shouldn't be any clearance issues, you'd prob get 28mms and mudguards on it or 30mm without guards

it was only the really racey bikes that were very tight in that era, i.e, CAAD series what ever number they were on.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
it was only the really racey bikes that were very tight in that era, i.e, CAAD series what ever number they were on.
I was going to say that 28s would not fit my CAAD5 but I just had a good look and I think that they would! I Googled it and lots of people agree.

That is good news for me because I have 2 pairs of 28s in Devon for my gravel bike there, but I would prefer to use bigger tyres on that bike. I am going down again in a month's time. I will bring one pair back with me to try them out.

There is definitely room on the front on the CAAD5. Don't know about the Synapse though...

Top Bottom