Metal on the rim brake pads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Washing the bike tonight and noticed some small pieces of metal in one of the brake pads.

Worth changing, or is this to be expected? The pads have plenty of miles in them, but not sure if this will damage the rims (or if maybe the metal is flecks from the rim?!

TIA

Attachments

• 20231119_135541.jpg
    20231119_135541.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 27

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I assume you mean changing the rims? Have a close inspection and if they feel noticeably thinner and seem to be warped it might be the time. Might still have some life left if not too thin.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
As rims are rather more expensive than pads I'd be looking at what's happening with the rims.

They don't seem warped. They'll have done maybe 2,500 miles of road riding. I'm a heavier rider, though these are Hunt's Superdura which are set up for bigger riders (though I assume the braking surface isn't where they will have focussed their attention in terms of durability).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you've got access to a micrometer might be interesting to compare the rim walls. Shouldn't be seeing a lot of wear in 2.5k.

the snail

Guru
If you've got access to a micrometer might be interesting to compare the rim walls. Shouldn't be seeing a lot of wear in 2.5k.

If you ride in wet conditions, you can end up with grit embedded in the pads and a grey grinding paste on the rims if you don't keep everything clean. I managed to destroy a pair of rims in about 1000 miles like that.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
If you ride in wet conditions, you can end up with grit embedded in the pads and a grey grinding paste on the rims if you don't keep everything clean. I managed to destroy a pair of rims in about 1000 miles like that.

Thankfully I have been good cleaning my bike after each ride since the wet and cold set in, was the first time I noticed the metal in the pads today.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Swissstop brake pads blocks are kinder to rims and stop well.
These blocks are what I fit (for a tenner a pair):
https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/kool-stop-salmon-rim-brake-blocks
Richard Hallett (@Ian H :okay:) says "what’s so good about the ‘Salmon’ pink compound? . . . formulated for the wet but still superb in the dry. . . . unlike the OEM pads, there’s no obvious tendency to pick up abrasive grit in the wet. Nor do Salmon pads seem to generate much grey sludge, so rim life should be improved."
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kool-Stop-...ations=colour:Salmon,option:R7-575&sku=685613
Do you want to stop? Do you feel lucky, punk?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
IME this is quite common. Either dig out the bits or replace the pads. The latter is easier and cheap enough. I've never really been sure if they really are metal bits, or just appear that way and are actually just grit.

Top Bottom