Electrickery Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Ok, tried it on an extension lead and worked fine so decided to change the socket.

20201104_122001.jpg

20201104_122142.jpg

Upon taking the socket out, I found the on/off switch to be a bit "iffy". Switches off but not convincingly on, so I think that's been the issue. New socket in now and working OK.

Not sure about the positioning of that other socket by the overflow waste pipe though 🤔

Looking at it, pretty sure the socket was there before the waste pipe

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
In an ideal world there should be 300mm between any electric socket and an open stand pipe... but there isn't a Scottish Building Standard for a minimum separation dimension- though it isn't good building practice to have a live 13a. plug socket below an open waste stand pipe!

On our HA phousing I specify a fused spur connections for below worktop white goods, connected to a neon switch above the worktop so you can isolate the white goods from the electric before dragging the fitting out of their 600mm space... one for the fridge, cooker, WM, dryer and DW.

I'd have a quiet word with the Maintenance Department of your HA...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... though it isn't good building practice to have a live 13a. plug socket below an open waste stand pipe!
What do you think of rain water round light switches...? :whistle::eek:

The wall round the light switch by my front door got very damp the other day. That was somewhat alarming! I discovered that the mastic surrounding my front door has some gaps in it opposite the switch and if there is heavy rain and a strong westerly wind, rain water can penetrate.

I must sort that out ASAP!

Last edited:

Archie_tect

What do you think of rain water round light switches...? :whistle::eek:

The wall round the light switch by my front door got very damp the other day. That was somewhat alarming! I discovered that the mastic surrounding my front door has some gaps in it opposite the switch and if there is heavy rain and a strong westerly wind, rain water can penetrate.

I must sort that out ASAP!
Damp is manageable... overflowing water isn't Colin!

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Looking at it, pretty sure the socket was there before the waste pipe
They were put in at the same time when the kitchen was re-done.

Another quirk; the two sockets (off a fused spur with neon switches) was used to run the dishwasher, tumble dryer and washing machine (with an extension). But you couldn't run any two at the same time or the dodgy socket went dead. Since replacing the single with a double last week, there's been no issues.

Archie_tect

Double sockets possibly wired in parallel off the single supply while the power from the second single socket was taken in series off the first one causing a power over load ... electrickery sometimes works in mysterious ways.

Top Bottom