Electrics definitely ain't my thing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Just spent most of the day rewiring the electrics on the Borealis. It looks quite neat (a bit of tidying up to be done) but the switch box was a nightmare. The indicators don't flash yet, the relay doesn't seem to be working so I've ordered a new one with a buzzer warning....just hope it's not too complicated to wire in.

I've fitted a lit (when on) switch for each indicator, both operated by the left hand to reduce wiring/complexity of switches on both sides. There's a spare power switch for the led strip running lights I've ordered (the original built in led lights gobbled power, and most of the LEDs had failed), plus a main 'power on/off' switch on the front. I've decided to stick with the Cree type separately powered front light, as I need something I know will last both ways on the commute, and didn't want to fit a massive battery, so just the indicators and running lights run off a small dimension (and relatively light) 5ah motorbike battery.

Biggest b**l ache was when I got all be wiring done, fitted the back on the box and nothing worked. It took me ages to spot the power on buttons spade connecter had become detached, doh! I'm not at all competent with electrics and it was a lot of trial and error, and I still haven't fitted a fuse yet (don't even know where to fit it, online research beckons) but it works, so I'm a bit chuffed as it's far better than it was. Phew!

image_zpsag2g2jnl.jpe
image_zpswynxeq3l.jpe

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just spent most of the day rewiring the electrics on the Borealis. It looks quite neat (a bit of tidying up to be done) but the switch box was a nightmare. The indicators don't flash yet, the relay doesn't seem to be working so I've ordered a new one with a buzzer warning....just hope it's not too complicated to wire in.

I've fitted a lit (when on) switch for each indicator, both operated by the left hand to reduce wiring/complexity of switches on both sides. There's a spare power switch for the led strip running lights I've ordered (the original built in led lights gobbled power, and most of the LEDs had failed), plus a main 'power on/off' switch on the front. I've decided to stick with the Cree type separately powered front light, as I need something I know will last both ways on the commute, and didn't want to fit a massive battery, so just the indicators and running lights run off a small dimension (and relatively light) 5ah motorbike battery.

Biggest b**l ache was when I got all be wiring done, fitted the back on the box and nothing worked. It took me ages to spot the power on buttons spade connecter had become detached, doh! I'm not at all competent with electrics and it was a lot of trial and error, and I still haven't fitted a fuse yet (don't even know where to fit it, online research beckons) but it works, so I'm a bit chuffed as it's far better than it was. Phew!

image_zpsag2g2jnl.jpe
image_zpswynxeq3l.jpe

Just stick an inline fuse case on the power from the battery.

Top Bottom