Electronic Dura Ace in the shops January

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Whether it will be practical for the ordinary rider in the near future remains to be seen, but the advantage for pro racing cyclists is speed. The difference between being world champion and 1st loser can be less than the width of a tyre, and if you can gain that on your final gearshift out of the last corner it would be worth it's weight in gold.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
As I was reading my way down this thread I started to wonder how long before we see computer controlled automatic gear shifts. Just imagine always being in the right gear without having to think about it, just set the cadence and the level of resistance. It will come one day and the pros will be using it first...

RedBike

I think the big advantage will be the automatic indexing / lack of cables (I apprechiate there will still be power cables).

This will hopefully put an end to miss-shifts. (No cables to stretch / clog up).
Also the way the front mech trims and moves will hopefully bring an end to chain de-railments.

yenrod

RedBike said:
I think the big advantage will be the automatic indexing / lack of cables (I apprechiate there will still be power cables).

This will hopefully put an end to miss-shifts. (No cables to stretch / clog up).
Also the way the front mech trims and moves will hopefully bring an end to chain de-railments.

I never get derailments !

jashburnham

I'm very excited (gadget nut) but will be waiting for second generation. My big issue is this - I want Campagnolo not Shimano, but (warning national stereotype follows) I don't trust Italians when it comes to electronic goods, the Japanese are world leaders when it comes to this sort of thing. I wonder how Campag's version will stack up. Of course given their history I'd expect it to be ace but I can't help having reservations.

No early adoption for me - makes a change not to be a guinea pig for once!

RedBike

I never get derailments !

I only ever seem to get them when racing (Which is exactly when you don't want them). It's trying to change several gears at the same time while keeping the power on that causes the problems.

Also when riding along 'normally' if your gears are slow to change or if you happen to change two gears at once, (which are common problems for new cables that have stretched or old cables with dirt in them), it's not really a big problem; but when racing this can be the difference between holding the wheel of the rider infront and shooting straight out of the back of the peleton.

jashburnham

Jim said:
I'd be instersted to know how much of Tullio's stuff is made in-house anyway.

A lot of it I should think. Campag are experts in their field afterall, I understand they even fabricate bearings for Ferrari.

Christopher

Über Member
Oy! Seems pricy!

I like the idea of automatic indexing and auto-trim but would fear it conking out miles from anywhere. One for the racers perhaps?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks as though the mechanical 7900 won't be too pricey - looking at a 50% premium on 7800 - Parker have prices - expect it to drop though.

The Italians are great at styling things, but electronics - forget it. I had an Alfa 147 Selespeed a few years back - that was always going up the blink, despite all the electronic parts being BOSCH - the blooming sparkies obviously couldn't wire it together properly.

Maz

Guru
Sorry, peeps. I don't get it. A battery? For what? What will the power from it be used to drive?

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Looks as though the mechanical 7900 won't be too pricey - looking at a 50% premium on 7800 - Parker have prices - expect it to drop though.

The Italians are great at styling things, but electronics - forget it. I had an Alfa 147 Selespeed a few years back - that was always going up the blink, despite all the electronic parts being BOSCH - the blooming sparkies obviously couldn't wire it together properly.
The Italians used to have a reputation for Micky Mouse electrics, and I know what you mean about Alfas because a neighbour had a real Friday special thet drove him nuts. But Fiat and Ducati, to name but two, are now rock solid in that department and the electronics on a gear system are pretty basic stuff. Cable gearshifts will be around for a long time yet, but if the electrics reach an acceptable reliability threshold I could see them becomming a common sight on road bike within the next few years.

dodgy

Maz said:
Sorry, peeps. I don't get it. A battery? For what? What will the power from it be used to drive?

It's an electronic group set, electronics need batteries.

Dave.

Top Bottom