Electronic power steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@yello I should think over the options and costs very carefully. Is it really worth spending the money on a car this old. Might be a case of good money after bad.
Renault are known for their problems with electronics, I remember the fun I had with my old Laguna!
Reconditioned units off eBay come with their own problems. I remember a ‘refurbished’ power steering rack I bought which was worse than the original.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I should think over the options and costs very carefully.

Indeed we're going to... once we get to a position of knowing with any degree of certainty what the costs are! At the moment, we're at the 'computer says no' point. Hopefully a more helpful mechanic will give us a better idea.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Yes, we're getting dangerously close to that point. Yet a car is sometimes worth more than it's worth... if you get my drift.

I know what you mean, but it all depends on what mileage it's done and the general condition of the said car.
My 23 year old Mondeo hasn't done 60,000 yet, and is worth nothing, well maybe scrap value, but to me she is better than some newer models that have 100,000 on the clock. If my next MOT costs £600 + it is still worth it as what can I buy for that amount.

D

Deleted member 1258

@yello I should think over the options and costs very carefully. Is it really worth spending the money on a car this old. Might be a case of good money after bad.
Renault are known for their problems with electronics, I remember the fun I had with my old Laguna!
Reconditioned units off eBay come with their own problems. I remember a ‘refurbished’ power steering rack I bought which was worse than the original.

Sometimes its better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

D

Deleted member 26715

Renault were very sneaky in the early 2000's they invested a lot of money in developing electronics which made it difficult for anyone else to fit parts to their cars. I had a diesel Laguna that had a faulty injector, the normal course of action would be to buy a single new injector, then swap it out in order with the existing 4 until the issue went away. However with the Renault this was not possible as each injector was electronically tagged, so each time you changed am injector you would have to inform the ECU/BCU what the new injector serial number was, yes you guessed it, only Renault could do that £65 each time.

So I am not surprised that changing the power steering unit out means you have to inform the ECU/BCU, but I would have expected it to be possible, either by finding a Renault independent who will have the correct software, or changing it yourself, then taking it back to Renault to code it in.

I know what you mean, but it all depends on what mileage it's done and the general condition of the said car.
My 23 year old Mondeo hasn't done 60,000 yet, and is worth nothing, well maybe scrap value, but to me she is better than some newer models that have 100,000 on the clock. If my next MOT costs £600 + it is still worth it as what can I buy for that amount.
Blimey. 2500 miles a year. That is low mileage.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sometimes its better the devil you know than the devil you don't.
This is so true, we keep looking at changing our Rav4 but in 6 years other than an alternator, battery, discs & pads we've not spent anything on it, the thought of spending a load of money & getting a lemon is stopping us.

The way I think about it with old cars is to compare annual total costs, including both depreciation and repairs.
So in your example that's £0 + £600 = £600.
If I buy a second hand car for say £5,000, then even if it costs only £200 a year in repairs that's probably more costly in total per year.

D

Deleted member 1258

This is so true, we keep looking at changing our Rav4 but in 6 years other than an alternator, battery, discs & pads we've not spent anything on it, the thought of spending a load of money & getting a lemon is stopping us.

Our sons elderly Honda Civic, 2006 reg I think, it developed major electrical gremlins that took several attempt to fix, He did think about scrapping it but eventually the Dealer got it sorted, He reasoned that the honda was a known quantity but if He replaced it He would end up with a car of a similar age to the Honda and was risking ending up with a dud.

gbb

Legendary Member
IIRC there was an episode of Wheeler Dealers where they repaired an EPS rack motor on Japanese car...it certainly isnt impossible, its just finding the right avenues i suspect

OP
OP
Y

yello

Seems to me that changing the EPS for a refurbed part might in itself lead to more work; either updating/reprogramming the ECU, or otherwise. Could be a can of worms. Do-able perhaps but do I want hassle and yet more cost?

OP
OP
Y

yello

Nah, we're scrapping it.

Just heard back from the independant I spoke to earlier today. It's not possible to repair (easily). Mechanically, yes, less of a problem, a refurb can be bought and fitted, but it's the electrics. Apparently only Renault can do it with a genuine Renault part. He actually said it's a similar problem with airbags!

Guess what make of car I'm not buying next!

On which subject, any suggestions as what to replace it with? My wife (an upholsterer) used it to cart chairs around so it was the boot space that's the main thing. With back seats out, the Scenic had a good load capacity.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
On which subject, any suggestions as what to replace it with? My wife (an upholsterer) used it to cart chairs around so it was the boot space that's the main thing. With back seats out, the Scenic had a good load capacity.

It would be something Japanese with a normarily aspirated petrol engine if you like to run them into the ground, that's just me though. Honda or Toyota. Mazda's are good cars but they rust, due to really poor underbody protection.

Last edited:
Top Bottom