Elementary Brakes Question - Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Just getting the hang of 21st Century technology:

Brakes are now at the limit of adjustment on the bike, without pulling the cable through further. The blocks used to look a bit like these, but are now worn down so that the chevrons are no longer visible, and the pads are now worn down below the strange wing-type things on the side.

Firstly, I presume that this means that they now need replacing?
Secondly, they have only lasted 6 months of 13 miles a day, 5 days a week commuting, plus a few fun rides. Is this life normal? Or am I shredding them like a lunatic?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
With all the crap weather we have had over the winter, you have done well. I am lucky to get 3 months out of mine.

BrumJim said:

Brakes are now at the limit of adjustment on the bike, without pulling the cable through further. The blocks used to look a bit like these, but are now worn down so that the chevrons are no longer visible, and the pads are now worn down below the strange wing-type things on the side.

Firstly, I presume that this means that they now need replacing?
Secondly, they have only lasted 6 months of 13 miles a day, 5 days a week commuting, plus a few fun rides. Is this life normal? Or am I shredding them like a lunatic?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
ianrauk said:
With all the crap weather we have had over the winter, you have done well. I am lucky to get 3 months out of mine.

You want to get yourself a fixed Ian. Still on my first set 18 months later :laugh:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
BrumJim said:
...Firstly, I presume that this means that they now need replacing?

Yes.

And if I may be so bold, I'm not entirely convinced that replacing brake blocks is a particularly recent development in the world of cycling...
:laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nah mate... can't be arsed with all that errrrm.... *Arse in the air wiggling* at traffic lights then getting scalped by someone on a real bike..:laugh::biggrin:

4F said:
You want to get yourself a fixed Ian. Still on my first set 18 months later :wacko:

Top Bottom