Elswick Hopper Cosmopolitan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I picked this up last year from someone who claimed to have done some restoration of it but this appears to have been limited to oiling the chain. The rear wheel was way out of true (radially and axially), the front not much better. The Sturmey Archer hub worked once I had adjusted it and the bottom bracket was stiff and notchy.
C9A6F1B0-D8A8-41C6-A58D-D31ACFA05F93.jpeg

I stripped it to its components a while ago and had the the frame, fork, mudguards and chainguard blasted and powder coated in Ruby Red.
B67B1C1C-2557-417B-97A0-B8D25DBF1F20.jpeg

B48D625D-9022-43F3-B5A6-B79CD18129EA.jpeg

I cleaned up the chromed parts with steel wool, getting a replacement stem and handlebars since the originals were all one, unadjustable item. I picked up some 451 alloy wheels with the intention of lacing the SA hub into the rim of the rear one.
5C2A03DC-177E-47EE-B4F7-A9F6BF34418E.jpeg

03729CD6-C016-45E9-8EBA-FEAC7D473901.jpeg

B05C01A9-172C-4661-A87D-EC8CD360BEEB.jpeg
This is it today, starting from scratch. The bottom bracket is back together, the headset in and wheels on it simply to make it roll. I need a couple of cotter pins for the cranks, as the old ones got a bit mashed on removal.

weareHKR

Good work... looking forward to seeing it finished... :becool:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What an interesting thread and unusual choice of steed, much lesser known than the Raleeigh & Dawes shopper bikes. @figbat, have you ever owned a Raleigh Twenty, and if so how does the Cosmopolitan compare to a Twenty in terms of ride comfort, handling, and sizing fit?

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
What an interesting thread and unusual choice of steed, much lesser known than the Raleeigh & Dawes shopper bikes. @figbat, have you ever owned a Raleigh Twenty, and if so how does the Cosmopolitan compare to a Twenty in terms of ride comfort, handling, and sizing fit?

I’ve never ridden a Twenty but I do also have a Dawes Kingpin. This feels lighter and a bit more agile where the Dawes feels solid and steady.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
I think I’ve fixed the chain drop - the derailleur has two positions for the cage spring and it was in the slacker position; putting it on the tighter position seems to have helped (short test ride only). 🤞

Top Bottom