Emails to hotmail accounts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Anyone able to help me with this one? For some reason, emails from my gmail account to hotmail accounts nearly always bounce back with the following error message:

hotmail-com.olc.protection.outlook.com[104.47.22.161] said: 550 5.7.1
Unfortunately, messages from [redacted IP address] weren't sent. Please contact
your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block
list (S3140). You can also refer your provider to
http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors.
[DB8EUR06FT021.eop-eur06.prod.protection.outlook.com] (in reply to MAIL
FROM command)

The odd thing is that the quoted IP address (redacted in the example above) is different every time and isn't mine. I got Microsoft to check my IP address and they confirmed it is whitelisted, so emails from that (my) IP address should go through OK; but oddly the error messages seem to quote a different random IP address each time and Microsoft seemed unable to explain this. I've googled some of the IP addresses and they all seem to be in America and do seem to raise warning flags.

Sometimes emails to hotmail accounts go through OK (maybe one in 10) and I guess this is when it uses an acceptable IP address?

I can't work out what is going on, and it's really frustrating. Anyone have any thoughts?

midlife

Guru
I thought Hotmail was defunct and replaced by outlook ?

Hotmail was always a bit hit and miss and tried to avoid.....

Sorry, I failed to try and answer the Ops question. If the problem persists with outlook.com as well, maybe it's a bit of turf wars... But I really can't think of any reason why it is not working.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Not had any delivery problems to hotmail addresses so far.
Check your settings? :scratch:

OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Thanks everyone for your replies so far. Just to clarify, mine is a gmail account, but I can't email hotmail accounts. The mystery is why the error messages cite random IP addresses that aren't mine - I think the clue must be in there somewhere.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Thanks everyone for your replies so far. Just to clarify, mine is a gmail account, but I can't email hotmail accounts. The mystery is why the error messages cite random IP addresses that aren't mine - I think the clue must be in there somewhere.

Your email will pass through email relay servers between you and Microsoft Outlook servers. The IP address quoted is likely that of the last relay server it passed through.

Top Bottom