Embarrassed at the opticians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Little bird that fly,
did a sh!t in farmer's eye,
as farmer wiped his eye he said,
thank the Lord that cows don't fly.

Contact lens check last Saturday

All okay, sight not changed since last time, not that's worth changing the prescription over)
I always wear 'sunglasses' on the bike, invariably a pair of yellow lensed Oakley Mumbos that are probably 25 years old!!
(only time I don't, is if just testing up & down street, at the side of the house

I know it's fine, because at work, from the top floor, I can see the wind-farm at Royds Moor (couple of miles, north-west of Penistone)
It must be between 17 & 20miles, to them, & I can see the blades turning on a clear day

I know, if I point them out to patients/other staff, some can't even see Emley Moor TV mast, let alone the wind-farm

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I got embarrassed at Specsavers when I visited a few years ago.
When I asked for new glasses, the chap said ‘ You need some, mate... This is Dewhursts!’ :laugh:

My ex-wife really did something like that. She'd lost her glasses on holiday and found the "opticians" only to be told "umm, this is a cosmeting surgery clinic" . Presumably the vaguely medical looking frontage looked plausible through her very blurred residual visiion.

Last edited:
I always wear 'sunglasses' on the bike, invariably a pair of yellow lensed Oakley Mumbos that are probably 25 years old!

Why I always wear them...……….

They're very scratched by now, but they did save my eyes back in early 1997
I worked in Leeds at the time, & was riding home one night (permanent afternoons for my last 6 years) about 23:00

I was on the Leeds-Wakefield road (A61), having just passed the 'Jaw-Bones' at the end of Wood Lane
At that time, the road was a national speed limit, unlit & had a pronounced dip (even more so than now - some re-engineering took place) due to mining subsidence
I was coming along, bus opposing me, as I entered the dip, with headlights in my face

Saw it way too late
Ended up going through the rear window, & ending up almost on the back seat

Dragged myself, & a semi-folded bike out, checked for all bits & belongings
Set off walking dripping blood

Called in the pub along the way (no mobile for me then) The Angel
Rang girlfriend, this was before we got married

I carried the bike the rest of the way home, about 6 miles, as it was definitely unridable
1990s. Accident. March 1997. The Aftermath. 1.jpg

Got shouted at, when I got in:rolleyes:

Up to A&E, Joanne was the Bed Manager for the Hospital at the time, & knew the A&E Sisters/Consultants, so got me seen (dept was quiet in those days... maybe 25% of what we get now)
After AE visit

1990s. Accident.The Aftermath 2. (March 1997).jpg 1997. rtc. 1.jpg

I could spurt blood out of the side of my nose for a few days afterwards

We found out later, upon reporting it to the Police, that the car (a Metro) wasn't registered to anyone, & the previous owner had sold it a couple of months before

I had to shop for a new bike then...…

I still keep the frame in the garage, as a reminder not to do it again
It was my last RTC though!!:okay:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

^_^

Top Bottom