Embarrassing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
A story a mate tells is of a fast club ride and a steep hill, the group is flying up this hill and my mate is flat out buring himself trying to stay with the group when becomes aware of one fella who's calmly riding at the back of the group, no handed talking on his phone at the pace of the group and not trying at all.

I'd love to be able to do the uphill no handed trick. You see the pro's do it on some stupidly steep stuff and it does look damn impressive. If I tried I'm pretty sure I'd be in the hedgerow within a heartbeat. :laugh:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I remember once climbing up a bit of a hill in Bristol, looking back and seeing an elderly gent at the bottom following me ... and then being overtaken by same said gent with his trousers tucked into his socks and a leather cycle bag strapped under the saddle. He disappeared into the distance, easily beating me despite being about 40 years older than me.

OK that made me smile as I remembered an incident early on in our 12 month cycle tour - on fully laden touring bikes (4 panniers, barbag, rack pack over top of rear panniers) we were finally caught by 2 sunday cyclists on road bikes at the top of yet another climb - they wore fully colour coordinated lyrca matching their bikes... We stopped for a quick breather and then continued catching them before the bottom of the decent. They both took a really wide line around the long left hand bend prior to the next climb (a coastal road in Ireland) and we were left with the only option of undertaking them due to an oncoming vehicle (or braking hard on a bend). I shall never forget the faces of those to roadies, who were almost lying down across the top tubes trying to be aerodynamic as we undertook them sitting bolt upright on a fully laden touring bike trying hard to keep as much momentum as possible for the next climb. Ironically it was they who stopped at the top of the climb having out climbed us and we continued never to see them again...

It is one of the few times i have managed to overtake anyone.

Top Bottom