Emergency Location Details

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
https://map.what3words.com

What3words.com is a great app for pinpointing exactly where you are anywhere in the world, land or sea.
Of course you need a phone connected for it to work but if you are in a developed country that should be no problem.

The idea is that the surface of the planet is divided into 3m squares, each square is given three words to identify it. The app will tell you which 3 words identify which square you are in. Or obviously if someone gives you the 3 words of the square they are in you will know to within a couple of meters exactly where they are.

/// even.stars.follow

would be an example.

3 words.JPG

classic33

Leg End Member
This is trivial on android. Open Google Maps and touch and hold on a point on the map. Lat and lon and postcode appear. House number if there is one, but I have deliberately chosen a remote location

View attachment 444809

Job done.
Assuming the spot you pick is where you actually are. A bit like picking a spot on a map, saying that's where I am and givin the grid reference for that location.

Just picking a spot on a map, in whatever form is no guarantee you are actually at that location.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This is trivial on android. Open Google Maps and touch and hold on a point on the map. Lat and lon and postcode appear. House number if there is one, but I have deliberately chosen a remote location

View attachment 444809

Job done.

There have been lots of great suggestions in answer to my original question - thanks to everyone.

For its' simplicity and availability to anyone who has a GPS enabled smartphone this is my favourite. Thanks for the suggestion. I will be putting the idea on our club Facebook page for our members' benefit.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
https://map.what3words.com

What3words.com is a great app for pinpointing exactly where you are anywhere in the world, land or sea.
Of course you need a phone connected for it to work but if you are in a developed country that should be no problem.

The idea is that the surface of the planet is divided into 3m squares, each square is given three words to identify it. The app will tell you which 3 words identify which square you are in. Or obviously if someone gives you the 3 words of the square they are in you will know to within a couple of meters exactly where they are.

/// even.stars.follow

would be an example.

View attachment 444804

// top.secret.bunker

Google maps should work offline if you have that area downloaded, and the gps chip should give your location. Can't see it would matter much though as if you're offline you won't have a phone signal...
The OS map grid seems more useful for foot rescue teams. Surely the services would want the clearest precise info possible - for me thats lat/long. The helicopter will find you on a hillside with it. The ship I work on has accuracy down to one metre - though its hardly hand held kit.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have an app called My GPS Coordinates. Accurate to about 10 mtrs.
I can't find one that does the SK 6 figure map reference though.

Brains

Legendary Member
Problem is, we're in England, not a developed country.

Don't even joke about this.

The state of our mobile phone infrastructure is currently lower than many Developing Nations
The masts were originally built to the lowest/cheapest possible spec and have been 'maintained' at that level ever since as they have passed from company to company.

None of the major providers has an incentive to bring them up to a decent specification except in the middle of the cities
They will be kept running as long as it makes sense to do so, but the actual mobile coverage will now start shrinking rather than expanding as it not financially worth while for the companies to maintain a mast in the remoter areas.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I have come across many a situation where I have a phone signal but cannot use any data services so I would recommend an app that will work of line ! But if you are regularly serious out in the wilds a real Hiking GPS !

subaqua

What’s the point
Conversion between GPS lat/lon (WGS84) and OS grid is, in IT terms, a trivial exercise. Any rescue coordination centre that doesn't have that facility in their systems should seriously look at their kit and/or provider.
It’s so easy even my iPhone has a free app for it

Top Bottom