Emergency spoke repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or you can just build wheels with double-butted spokes and stress relieve the spokes properly so that you have a near infinite spoke life. But as Nigeyy said, the sheer gadgetry of it all is quite attractive and survivalist. It is like carrying a Swiss Army knife with one of those gadgets that is supposedly for taking a stone out of a horse's hoof. I've carried this knife around for years and I'm yet to find such a horse. One day.....

I have one too

Old git!!!!!

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Just ordered one o' these from SJS Cycles, for touring.
Nice 'n' cheap and looks like a clever idea.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/fiber-fix-emergency-replacement-spoke-prod20155/

I looked at link and my first thought was what a clever idea. I then began to see how well it would work and I think for an emergency they would be fine. A normal spoke is not vey strong but when they are under tension then they are pretty strong. ...same idea I think.

A wheel should not break spokes really but that is another topic. Accidents do happen, you can get something between the spokes and you are in trouble. Yesterday somebody asked me about a wheel that has a few damaged spokes due to the chain coming off, etc. So a nit idea for some people I think.

I bought one in May 2012, I don't know why really as I haven't had a spoke fail in my life. At 52 I hope one goes soon so I can get my money's worth.
lucky you.

If this bothers you you can get a Dahon Speed Pro - you'll really get your money's worth then.

I think I may get one of those things for my way more reliable touring and hybrid bikes.

Hope this isn't a stupid question.

Related to my Speed Pro question which sometimes does long trips in remote areas (once had to call for a lift).

Will it work on 20 inc wheels?

Am assuming it will but thought best to ask.

spen666

Legendary Member
Really? I had you down as more of a convertible man.
I'm not letting the butler drive my convertible.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Hope this isn't a stupid question.

Related to my Speed Pro question which sometimes does long trips in remote areas (once had to call for a lift).

Will it work on 20 inc wheels?

Am assuming it will but thought best to ask.
If you mean the Fiberfix then yes, it's a length of Kevlar reinforced cord which you just tie off at the required length.

samid

Veteran
did it ever arrive? SJS seem quick to take payment and slow at everything else
Why do you say that? Did you yourself have a problem ordering from them, like they took your money but shipped a month/year later? I live in Canada and have ordered multiple times from SJS, never had a problem and my orders usually arrived very quickly. Even ordered some items that were available locally, as the price with shipping was better than what I could find here.

Top Bottom