Emonda SL 5 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdcadillac

Hello all,
First I m exhausted looking for the right bike. Today I tried the ALR5 but find the handlebar too unstable and tough to control, maybe it was just me the first time on road bike
Anyway an online dealer not in my town told me he has an SL 5 with rims 2018. First want to know how a model in 2018 survived till today could be something wrong with this bike? Second is there a big difference between 2018 and the current model, last if any rider has this model if he can help with his experience
I m exhausted but hopefully our community in cyclechat are not
Thanks all

gzoom

Über Member
I think you are way over analysing things, any Emonda is a fantastic bike, especially as a first road bike.

My Madone 3.1 (cheapest carbon frame Trek sold), is 10 years old soon, and it rides/handles like a dream.

A man once said 'its not about the bike', even though now we know he was meant to say 'its about taking drugs', the bike bit is correct.

Don't procrastinate so much, get what ever bike feels right and get ridding. Everyday you spend agonising over which bike to get is one day less riding time :smile:.

50024497643_1c2688c65e_k_d.jpg

gzoom

Über Member
Oh just in case you think a 10 year old Trek bike with 105 components might not be good any more. I hit just over 41mph for 20 seconds down a local hill recently, quick enough to be placed 330 out of 6980 rides on Strava. That was at the end of a 2hr climbing loop.

It really isn't about the bike, unless your a pro athlete the bike is never the limiting factor, its the meat sack sitting on it. The biggest improvements in cycling comes from spending time on the bike, it doesn't what bike, its the time in saddle that counts :smile:.

50124941912_d005ebd4c4_k_d.jpg

50124162163_4ca6e389d4_o_d.jpg

Last edited:

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Hello all,
First I m exhausted looking for the right bike. Today I tried the ALR5 but find the handlebar too unstable and tough to control, maybe it was just me the first time on road bike
Anyway an online dealer not in my town told me he has an SL 5 with rims 2018. First want to know how a model in 2018 survived till today could be something wrong with this bike? Second is there a big difference between 2018 and the current model, last if any rider has this model if he can help with his experience
I m exhausted but hopefully our community in cyclechat are not
Thanks all
Potentially yes it's just your first ride on this type of bike, the SL5 no matter what year it is will not be any more stable. It also maybe that the bike was the wrong size and not fitted correctly, the latter alone can greatly influence how the bike performs and that includes stability, we discussed fitting in another of your threads

You concern that if the SL5 is second hand there maybe something wrong with it is also valid but reassuringly if it is from a dealer so it should be OK. I assume it's second hand it's very unusual for them to have a bike that is in effect 3 seasons old so yes ask them to clarify "how a model in 2018 survived till today".

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello all,
it’s your first time on a road bike that’s all. Some bikes with more ”racy” geometry will have steering that feels twitchy. If you want something more relaxed a bike with a longer wheelbase and slacker head tube angle might suit you better. Touring and gravel /adventure bikes would fit that bill.
Or it could be that a road just isn’t for you? You might be happier on a ‘fast’ hybrid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

Potentially yes it's just your first ride on this type of bike, the SL5 no matter what year it is will not be any more stable. It also maybe that the bike was the wrong size and not fitted correctly, the latter alone can greatly influence how the bike performs and that includes stability, we discussed fitting in another of your threads

You concern that if the SL5 is second hand there maybe something wrong with it is also valid but reassuringly if it is from a dealer so it should be OK. I assume it's second hand it's very unusual for them to have a bike that is in effect 3 seasons old so yes ask them to clarify "how a model in 2018 survived till today".
Thank you very much Paul,

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

it’s your first time on a road bike that’s all. Some bikes with more ”racy” geometry will have steering that feels twitchy. If you want something more relaxed a bike with a longer wheelbase and slacker head tube angle might suit you better. Touring and gravel /adventure bikes would fit that bill.
Or it could be that a road just isn’t for you? You might be happier on a ‘fast’ hybrid.
you are absolutely right. I want to go road biking but if the steering is twitchy for newbie it is dangerous for me. not sure if i can sue hybrid bike on a trainer?

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

I think you are way over analysing things, any Emonda is a fantastic bike, especially as a first road bike.

My Madone 3.1 (cheapest carbon frame Trek sold), is 10 years old soon, and it rides/handles like a dream.

A man once said 'its not about the bike', even though now we know he was meant to say 'its about taking drugs', the bike bit is correct.

Don't procrastinate so much, get what ever bike feels right and get ridding. Everyday you spend agonising over which bike to get is one day less riding time :smile:.

View attachment 536657
the bike looks like new. it is very well maintained. Thank you for your feedback

gzoom

Über Member
you are absolutely right. I want to go road biking but if the steering is twitchy for newbie it is dangerous for me. not sure if i can sue hybrid bike on a trainer?

Drop bars on road bikes are perfectly safe, otherwise professional cyclists wouldn't be flying down mountains at 50mph+ on them.

As with all things in life when you first try something new it feels different/scary, but as a saying goes, practice makes perfect.

There is nothing wrong with a hybrid bike, I commute to work on mine everyday, but for 'fun' rides I take my road bike, and on long rides the road bike is so much MORE comfy than the hybrid.

I really do think you are over analysing things, life is about trying new things and pushing beyond our comfort zones. Road cycling is great fun, hybrid or drop bars, I wouldn't even be worrying about in door trainers at this stage.

We are already half way through July, if you aren't careful soon your miss the whole of this summer and still not have got a bike!!

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

Drop bars on road bikes are perfectly safe, otherwise professional cyclists wouldn't be flying down mountains at 50mph+ on them.

As with all things in life when you first try something new it feels different/scary, but as a saying goes, practice makes perfect.

There is nothing wrong with a hybrid bike, I commute to work on mine everyday, but for 'fun' rides I take my road bike, and on long rides the road bike is so much MORE comfy than the hybrid.

I really do think you are over analysing things, life is about trying new things and pushing beyond our comfort zones. Road cycling is great fun, hybrid or drop bars, I wouldn't even be worrying about in door trainers at this stage.

We are already half way through July, if you aren't careful soon your miss the whole of this summer and still not have got a bike!!
Yes I might be :smile: it is a seller market and only few options left with high prices. I just want to make sure I am not rushing before i analyze and understand all the elements. So far my knowledge went from zero to below ok and still learning.

Top Bottom