Emperor Sport Cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Hi I remember both Tony Mills and Mick Coward They were members of the same club as me and we all road for the Southern Velo RC based in Morden. I was a junior and they were Independents I regularly went out training with them around Surrey. We used to hang around HE Green cycles in Morden. They did not ride in the Tour de France but did ride on the Continent at some time. I saw them ride against Tom Simpson at Crystal Palace (the Race was won by Michael Wright if my memory is correct with Tom second) I could tell you much more. For the record I used to visit Bill Hens in Sutton as well and any other shop in the South East I have attached a team sheet for a time Trial on Box Hill 1963 you will see Tony , Mick and me on it. My bike was a Fiorelli and I still have it.
Yes, I recall seeing that race at the Palace. A big support programme, and someone who will remain un-named was in the 3/J race, and dreaming of bigger things. Never happened.

ginger boxhill

HI
Following on from the team sheet I supplied you will see George Edwards Veteran on it. George Rode in the Daily Express 1951 Tour of Britain and was also a member of the Southern Velo; our club included some top riders at that time. I have attached a photo of George who I also knew quite well.

Attachments

• 1951 George Edwards Southern Velo.jpg
    1951 George Edwards Southern Velo.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 73

J Turner

Like you, Pete, I was introduced to cycling through the simple request for a U2 rear light battery at Bill Hens' shop in Lind Road in Sutton. I'd been for a job interview, having left school December 1959. So it would have been around February 1960.
He told me that a load of the Redmon members met outside the shop around 7pm on the Friday nights and cycled to the clubroom if I fancied giving it a go.
I'm now 70 and there are four of us lads who meet up each year and amongst the mickey-taking and one liners always find time to remember dear old Bill.
Bill died peacefully in his sleep in, I believe, May of 2002. He'd been out with friends in Marlow the night before, had raised a few glasses of wine and returned home to bed.
Two years ago the four of us paid homage to a bloke who had quite literally changed our lives. We visited his grave in Marlow Cemetery. His sisters had provided a headstone featuring an ordinary or penny-farthing as it was known by the masses and an Irish lady putting flowers on her late husband's grave nearby and probably wondering what our quartet was up to suddenly said:blush:s that the cycle shop man?
She then went on to tell us what a lovely man Bill had been, always fair on his prices and always ready to help and show the kids how something should be done. You couldn't have asked for a more touching yet unsolicited tribute.
For some years, he had worked at Hoars Cycles in Marlow.
We always refer to ourselves as Bill's Boys.......There must be hundreds of us!

Not sure if this is the right way to add to a story, but
Bill Hens' shop was down the road from my school, literally, but typically we went at weekends (a 3-mile outing from Banstead). It worked a bit like a club, except that we were peripheral to the club. Bill was one of those rare enthusiasts who had time for small customers like us. My father got to know him too and thought it was a marvellous business ... sell kit during the week and arrange events at weekends to encourage the wrecking of the bikes, then sell more.
He would advise us to get 40-spoke wheels for our tandem (a Dan Genner short wheel base track tandem ... the rear seat tube curved around the back wheel). No question was too trivial for him to advise on and he generally had an older teenager helping him. Another side show was the unicycle that anyone could try his had at.
By the time I had the money to buy a hand-built frame however, my patronage had moved to Allins, who made me two Stan Butler Specials. Happy days.

Last edited:

pete wagg

Mick moved up North when he sold the shop, well the shop premises; it's no longer a bike shop.Tony Mills pops into to see us sometimes here at Corridori, as does he son Nick, in part as we are all friends, plus Tony still owns a property just around the corner from Corridori.

Both he and Tony were indeed Pro riders, if my memory serves me correctly Tony came second to keith Butler (of the Surrey League) in the Pro Road race champ’s. Although both Pro's at the same time I didn't think that either Tony or Mick rode the Tdf though; I could be wrong but I'm sure I would have remembered that.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk
Hi Paul
I was reading the thread concerning Bill Hens and would dearly like to contact 'alangh' However he has not made contact for several years and has not responded to my post. I know it's a very long shot but as you appear to know hundreds of people I decided to ask you if you know how I might contact him

Best regards

Peter Wagg

Donna329

Hi would just like to say mickle coward is now my neighbour and has been for around 6 years. I am loving the memories people have of him and will be showing him tomorrow as I'm sure it will be a pleasure for him to read

Steve-W

I have just bought an Emperor Sport from a friend, Mick Coward built it for him in 1998, so from what I've read it mus be quite a late one, the frame number is Emp.712,
The original owner was Ian Bedford who I believe competed in road racing and time trials in Surrey.
Does anyone know of a modern day match for the red metallic paint used by Emperor .

Grab1956

Regular
I’ve just bought a very interesting steel frame, which I think is an Emperor, as the serial number is EMR.76.64, although it could be EMP. It’s interesting as both gear cable run along the top tube as cx. However the brakes are calliper, and the gear lever bosses are also on the top tube. I’d be very interested to know anything about this frame as it seems quite unusual, and most likely a custom build. Thanks Graham

Attachments

• E4E2885A-3F42-402B-8A21-48BB6CD702A1.jpeg
    E4E2885A-3F42-402B-8A21-48BB6CD702A1.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 851943EC-D346-4314-A0BB-87260A5D32C0.jpeg
    851943EC-D346-4314-A0BB-87260A5D32C0.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 57
  • C0A47153-1FC1-4BDA-855D-9F51E708690D.jpeg
    C0A47153-1FC1-4BDA-855D-9F51E708690D.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 63

Rutland Bike

Hi, I'm a new member just joined today. I used to very nearly live in the two Emperor Sport shops on saturdays and had several frames built by Mick Coward. Tony Mills and Mick Coward were just so friendly and great friends to so many, particularly members of the Redmon C.C. like myself.

Many of those who used to be regulars at these two shops may also remember Tommy Fenwick (better known as Tommy Dog). Tommy was particularly good at saying things which would be considered in this day and age as exceedingly politically incorrect to use the modern term.

Every Boxing Day, Tony and his wife Barbara (Babs) held a party for many friends and customers. I have wonderful memories of these parties. Tony invited lots of male cyclists and Babs (who worked at a local hospital) invited nurses from the hospital.

Somewhere, if I can find them, I may still have some photos of both Tony, Mick and maybe the shop premises too! I now live in Devon and only cycle a little these days, due to a heart condition and the hilly terrain.

When I was much younger and used to race, I was at various times a member of the following clubs: The Clarence Wheelers, (Anyone rember Alf Whiteway?), The Feltham Road Club and the Redmon C.C.

I also remember visiting and buying equipment from the following shops: Emperor Sport, Geoffrey Bultler, Ken Ryall, Mal Ress, George W. Stratton Cycles, Roberts and Condor Cycles (does anyone remember Monty Young?).

Anyone remember these names?
I do, I joined the Southern Velo when I’d just started work, not sure how I heard about the club but Tom Fenwick came round my house and met me and my parents, he was a character....his views were on reflection well to the right....of politics and political correctness was not around then but he was a good bloke to me, I think Tony Mills and Mick Coward had stopped racing by this time, I was completely useless as a racer but enjoyed the club runs on Sunday, we used to meet at a cafe (Redimax ? or a name like that) just next to I think Tooting underground station. Then off into mainly Surrey / Kent often stopping for tea and toast at Mrs Curds ? at Godstone well before the M25 was thought of. I think the club nights were on a Monday at a community centre at Morden. The other Velo members I remember were the Callaghan brothers and Brian Harris who was my age but a very good rider. Happy days.
Dave

cessna

Although not into cycling myself I knew Mick Coward back in the 70's/80s when I sold duplicating machines and Mick would repair them in his spare time. This was probably before he opened his shop in Sutton. Mick would go everywhere on cycle and his tool kit to repair my machines consisted of a rolled up duster containing screwdriver hammer and punch poking out from the saddle. Mick was a great mechanic and carried out his work quietly and with great competence and skill. I last saw Mick shortly after he opened Emperor Cycles in Sutton. If anyone is still in touch with Mick please send him my best regards - He may remember me as Brian Phillips of Bromley.

Top Bottom