Employers & Mental Health

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
FWIW my opinion is BEWARE THE MED PUSHING GP. In my experience they dish out ssri meds way to easily without any real advice to the patiant. Some of them are bloody horrible and take a LONG time to come off of. The worst in my experience is CITALOPRAM which seems to still be the drug of choice for GP's who should know better. Also beware of DIAZIPAN, this is NOT GOOD to withdraw from either. Trust me.

There are situation that call for serious medical intervention. I do not know your situation fully. I am simply saying that there are better alternatives to medication for mild depression and axiety.

Actually in my experience Citalopram only ever increased depression and axiety doing th eexact opposite it was supposed to do.

The cure for anxiety is to have no fear of ANYTHING...pills only ever mask the problems temporarilly, the real answers are within each of us.

That's why I like my GP - he just said "I can't prescribe you these sorts of things - I qualified in general health, not psychiatry" and referred me to see a psychiatrist. He kinda rocks, does my doctor!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
FWIW my opinion is BEWARE THE MED PUSHING GP. In my experience they dish out ssri meds way to easily without any real advice to the patiant. Some of them are bloody horrible and take a LONG time to come off of. The worst in my experience is CITALOPRAM which seems to still be the drug of choice for GP's who should know better. Also beware of DIAZIPAN, this is NOT GOOD to withdraw from either. Trust me.

There are situation that call for serious medical intervention. I do not know your situation fully. I am simply saying that there are better alternatives to medication for mild depression and axiety.

Actually in my experience Citalopram only ever increased depression and axiety doing th eexact opposite it was supposed to do.

The cure for anxiety is to have no fear of ANYTHING...pills only ever mask the problems temporarilly, the real answers are within each of us.
Different people react differently to different drugs. My mood drops dangerously low if I forget to take my Citalopram, which implies that it works for me. You can't say that X drug does or doesn't work - all you can say is whether or not it works FOR YOU. Taking medication is a personal decision and shouldn't be influenced by the experiences of others.

*gets off soap box and has a cup of tea*

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
BigonaBianchi said:
FWIW my opinion is BEWARE THE MED PUSHING GP. In my experience they dish out ssri meds way to easily without any real advice to the patiant. Some of them are bloody horrible and take a LONG time to come off of. The worst in my experience is CITALOPRAM which seems to still be the drug of choice for GP's who should know better. Also beware of DIAZIPAN, this is NOT GOOD to withdraw from either. Trust me.​
Actually in my experience Citalopram only ever increased depression and axiety doing th eexact opposite it was supposed to do.​
The cure for anxiety is to have no fear of ANYTHING...pills only ever mask the problems temporarilly, the real answers are within each of us.​

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Long story short when I had my first ever panic attack I thought I was having a heart attack, it was xmas eve and my GP prescriped me an angina spray "just in case" (WTF) and if it is panic as she thought Ativan as needed. Now I was in a bit of state so didn't really hear ll of this, when my wife returned with the prescription the Ativan had the instructions take 1-4 four times a day guess how many I took! the next thing I remembered as clear memory was sometime in January sitting in the GP's office asking for the Ativan to be refilled and her in a state of panic, even after this short amount of time the withdrawl was awful!!

Hugo15

Über Member
Had my ups and downs over the years..... About six months ago I hit a real down and was really struggling. I decided I had to go to my GP and thought that I was going to end up going down the meds route. My GP was brilliant, we talked about meds route but he also talked about something called Mindfullness. There is more about it at http://www.bemindful.co.uk/ It's based on meditation and there is a fair bit of clinical research to back it up too. He also recommended Mindfulness for Dummies..... yes I thought the same....... I feel terrible and you've prescribed a for dummies book........!! I couldn't have been more wrong. I found the book very helpful and worked through it with support from my GP. It also comes with a CD which helps you through the meditations. It's really helped me.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Panic attacks are the most horendous of things. They are the extreme manifestation of high anxiety usually caused by a sudden seriuous shock. The problem is that th ehuman brian has something called an amigdella(sp?) which controls the anxiety level we maintian. But it has a design flaw, it sticks at the high level and doesnt re set itself automatically. You have to conciously re set it via your own behaviour. It only responds to actions. So you have to behave as if everything was totally ok. In short be calm even when you are crapping yourself. You have to override your own fear. Then the amigdella will re set back down to a normal level. Some people are forced to behave like this because of their life situation, others arnt, so there are people who suffer continuosly from the effects of shocks (PTSD etc) ..then the docs prescribe meds which are addicitive etc...they mask the problem and leave the patient with horrible effects. The reality is that if you have no fear, panic attacks cannot exist, because anxiety is a symtom of fear, and panic attacks are the extreme manifestation of anxiety.

Notice I am talking only about anxiety here. Not depression.

jmho.

I've been through depression, and 10 years later had it combined with workplace stress.

The key here is not to give a toss what the employer's opinion is. It's all about putting your own wellbeing first.

I was on on citalopram in my first battle, and can agree that it does not solve the problem. All the drugs can do is shut down your brain at night long enough for you to rest your way out of the exhaustion. They block seratonin, the chemical that drives the thought creation process, and therefore creates REM sleep. Depressives become exhausted because their minds don't rest, they stay in REM too long.
After a few months I bought a mountain bike - that's where the recovery really started, it helped me cope.
After two years I was off the pills, I wasn't cured.

3 years ago work became hell, then I got injured and couldn't cycle, and had to go through months of physio, with an employer viewing the one hour a week as skiving and a 'half day holiday', and ignoring me hauling myself up and down stairs with my arms alone. The next downward spiral began. This put me in front of a doctor again, and he recommended a talk to the occupational therapist regarding my rights as an employee, rethinking my life and counselling sessions.
I also took advice that led to me going to Tai Chi lessons (it really does change you!). And yes, mindfullness and the Dummies books are very good. I left every counselling session feeling as if a weight had been lifted.
All this helped far more than pills ever could.

I was made redundant late last year, and it was a relief! I was told that outside of that job was the real world, and life is good. I'm doing the same job now for a different company and it's actually fun. I'm working now to fuel holidays.

I'd recommend this to anyone - Go talk to a doctor and get things moving for you. If pills are needed ask for how long and what else will be done, as they aren't a cure. Be in control of your treatment. Get away from the employer's grasp and think things through - a doctor will most likely recommend some time off. My last employer wanted to put my completion of counselling in the bloody newsletter!! There are other jobs when you're better.

You and your life come first. Get informed. Get the options. Take control. Yes it's scarey, just do it by the numbers.

PS: Citalopram. It will make you feel worse at first, then it does it's stuff. It has benefits, but places limits on you. When you come off it the doses should be slowly decreased. Cold turkey will have you falling over and all sorts - I've been there!

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Does anyone have any experience of Abilify (aripiprazole)?

Also just seen the most horrendous stroy on Twitter about a guy that was fired for having depression (even though he was being treated for it):
https://twitter.com/#!/badlydrawnroy

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Tillyflop- I was on it very briefly (I was on Citalopram and Aripriprazole) both for just over a month only. The longest time I was on a antidepressant was my first year at University many years ago - came off that (Seroxat) and was put back on them in my final year - that made me feel as if I was not human- not emotions,no feelings and I eventually came off that.
I don't respond to medication at all - it makes me worse mentally and the depression gets very bad. It becomes one of those terminal fights with health professionals where when I am at my worst in terms of the depression and anxiety as to why I won't take medicine.

It's a twofold thing, The side effects which pushes my insomnia into long term sleeplessness, twitchy legs, worsening of depression, palpitations and feeling restlessness and getting funny tastes in my mouth.

The thing I like the least is that I feel different on them, as if I am not me- I don't have the same quickness of thought and sharpness - of course this could be markers of depression where I tend to get foggy minded, lack ability to concentrate and have trouble finishing sentences but been on medicine compounds this and instead of making things easier it forces the symptoms deeper and makes the feel harder to deal with.

I also think it's pig headedness and I'm honest enough to say that - I am loathe to take medicine as I feel imperfect as if I hadn't arrived at wellness through my own means. What's helped is talking and therapy and understanding these things and myself.

However as a PS- mental health affects everyone differently, some people I know need to be on medicine to maintain their wellness, others not so, others a temporary thing..it's a very individual experience.

brockers

They block seratonin, the chemical that drives the thought creation process

Just to be totally accurate, SSRIs don't block serotonin as such, they inhibit the reuptake bits on the original transmitting cell from reabsorbing the serotonin it's previously released, thus stimulating the release of more serotonin and increasing the amount in circulation - to effectively lighten your mood. Hopefully

postman

Legendary Member
First i am going to say there are some great people on here.You are not alone.But do take some time off.There are more people out there suffering because they feel ashamed.Do not feel like that.Take advice from your Doctor but please take some time off work.Someone i know has just had four months off work.You should get help from work also on your return.Shorter hours on returning and lighter duties.

Just to be totally accurate, SSRIs don't block serotonin as such, they inhibit the reuptake bits on the original transmitting cell from reabsorbing the serotonin it's previously released, thus stimulating the release of more serotonin and increasing the amount in circulation - to effectively lighten your mood. Hopefully

Thanks for the correction :smile: It's been a while since I read up on it.

pepecat

I also think it's pig headedness and I'm honest enough to say that - I am loathe to take medicine as I feel imperfect as if I hadn't arrived at wellness through my own means. What's helped is talking and therapy and understanding these things and myself.

Yeah me too.... I'm crap at taking tablets. Forget, and also don't like the fact i should have to reply on chemicals to feel happy. Yes, I did take them sporadically for three years, and yes, they DO work for lots of people (and did for me when i was first ill), but i think you get to a point where you can make the decision not to take them. I took myself off citalopram last Oct, and haven't taken anything since. I found citalopram worked well for me, and coming off it gave me no side effects or 'cold turkey' at all. I had far worse experiences with seroxat and venlafaxine. Guess drugs work / react differently with different people.

Like ttcyclist, what's helped me the most has been talking therapy. Psychodynamic psychotherapy to be exact, once a week, for the last year. It's been hard, painful, annoying, frustrating and at times, a complete pain in the arse, but i'm learning stuff about myself and how / why i work the way i do, which hopefully will help me either not to get depression again (best case scenario) or, if it does bite again, to deal with it a bit better.

Top Bottom