End Of An Era....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Definitely worth a mention these. Cycle Of Good have finally taken their last order for their Elephant Bikes. They've spent years putting to task reforming convicts learning them skills and refurbishing 20000 old Royal Mail (pashley) Mailstar bikes in what was also an end of an era for RM for posties on bikes. Many Malawians also received an Elephant bike with every purchase made in the UK which many have put to use to start a business and for charitable work out there.

Well done to all those involved and to George Furnival who helped me with my order of an Elephant Bike. Mine is my main transport and is far dirtier than this example!

elecphant bike.jpg

I shall never part with mine.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That picture has got to be the potteries?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What a shame. I wonder what the convicts will do now? Not be sent to the front I hope.
The bikes will certainly be useful in Africa. The only thing I’d be worried about are the plastic pedals. I wonder why some metal cage ones weren’t used?

OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
What a shame. I wonder what the convicts will do now? Not be sent to the front I hope.
The bikes will certainly be useful in Africa. The only thing I’d be worried about are the plastic pedals. I wonder why some metal cage ones weren’t used?

I bet there are all sorts of similar schemes available. Metal cage ones would be better long term without a doubt in the rugged infrastructure of Malawi, but the plastic ones are very robust still, far better than the plastic BSO ones. They have a bit of heft to them.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Saw one of these outside my work the other day and the first time I've seen one in the flesh. The woman who now owns it didn't have any idea of the story behind them as she'd been given it by a friend when falling on hard times so she could get around. Said she loves it and even more so now she knows about its history.
I must admit I quite like them, wouldn't suit my needs but a seemingly great company and sentiment

simongt

Guru
Note the lack of brakes.
No, flip flop brakes. Progress on sneaker brakes - ! :laugh:

Top Bottom